saving acropora

KodiakBear

So, after a month away from home, I found my acropora has a LOT of die off. Pretty much just the tips of a few branches are still alive. Not sure if it's just not enough light in my tank, or a bad batch of phyto, but something wasn't giving it the nurishment it needed. I'm trying to find someone in my local reef-club that's willing to take them. Any-who...
I'm going to try to frag off the tips and remount them. Hopefully this will give the little guys a good enough chance of surviving long enough to get into the tank of a better equiped reefer. Well, standby for a barrage of questions:
How do I frag the acro (keep in mind I don't own "bone cutters")?
What should I mount it to?
Is superglue gel good for mounting new cuts?

Thanks in advance to all

mps9506

Depending on how thick the branches are you can break them off with pliers or your fingers. Superglue is perfect for mounting acro frags IMO.
Just take the frag out of the tank and whatever rock you are mounting it to. Dab the bottom of the frag dry with a towel, add liberal amounts of glue and some to the rock and stick together and hold for 30 secs-1 min. stick in your tank in a lower flow spot until it is fully dry and you are good to go.

Lakmo99

First of all, I love the fact that you're willing to admit that you got in over your head and that you are going to try and pass the little fragglings on to someone with a little more experience with them. The reef world needs more people like you :)

As for the fragging, what kind of Acro is it? If it is thin, then you shouldn't have a problem in just breaking them off. How big are the living tips? Super glue will work wonders. Just try not to over do it.

Flow could have also been a contributing factor to the recession. As with nutrient deficiency. What are your water parameters?

Lakmo99

Depending on how thick the branches are you can break them off with pliers or your fingers. Superglue is perfect for mounting acro frags IMO.
Just take the frag out of the tank and whatever rock you are mounting it to. Dab the bottom of the frag dry with a towel, add liberal amounts of glue and some to the rock and stick together and hold for 30 secs-1 min. stick in your tank in a lower flow spot until it is fully dry and you are good to go.

You beat me to the post :p

bluespotjawfish

:cry1: Sorry for your loss..needlenose pliers work well (note to self - if you steel them from the hubby, it is always a good thing to rinse, dry and return in like condition :grr:).

KodiakBear

Rules rules rules... So many rules. How about, don't use the coffee grinder to mince up the frozen squid and scallops! Mmmm... Hazelnut latte, with slight pinch of TENTACLE!!!

Well, back to the topic at hand (for me anyway, ya'll can feel free to keep on with the rules)
How far below the living tissue should I cut? Right at the last polyp, or an inch down from that? Should I cut it underwater, or is it alright to pull it out for this?

mps9506

I prefer to cut out of the water, but do whatever is easier for you.

As far as how far away from the tissue, that is just personal preference. Maybe an inch or so, that will give you a nice base to glob some super glue gel onto.