RTBA - good and bad in an RSM 130 advice please

spiraling

I found a local guy on craigslist who has some coral. He also has an RBTA that split and he is getting rid of one for an ok price. Sooooo I'm trying to decide if I want it, cause its expensive to ship things to where I live

1 - I have the 130. Mixed reef with a few fish. Will it get too big? Will it kill acans, chalice, zoas?
2 - how bad do they wonder? I kinda have a place or two I would like it and can move corals, but I would like it to settle down
3 - I have perculas and I'm pretty sure they killed a bunch of my zoas harassing them to host. Will this be a good option so they leave other corals alone?

Should I get it or pass?

Last edited:

whip

I have had them in the past. They did ok in my little 12 gallon AquaPod. It split four times over two years. I kind of slacked on maintenance and they got smaller and smaller until they disappeared. Bummer. To try to answer some of your questions:

1. When they were healthy, mine were a good size, but easily manageable in my 12 gallon tank.

2. YES. This is why I wasn't a huge fan of them. I am a better keeper now, so I wonder if I had them now; would they wander so much? I still say yes. They would always end up in a place that wasn't visually appealing and it'd bug me. They go where they want to, not where you want them to go. If they are in a location that you don't like, sometimes you can direct flow to make them relocate.

3. One of my clowns bugged them in the hosting process and I am not sure if the relationship was good for the RBTA. To be honest with you, the hosting could be a crapshoot.

In closing? They are beautiful and bring great color to a tank. If you can get one at a good price, I say it is worth the risk.

spiraling

Thanks whip.
I guess if I get it and don't like it I can get credit at my LFS, but I hate not having the right care for my creatures and/or having creatures that I don't like.