RSM130D - Skimmer options

Duncan collins

Hello all

I am currently running a Tunze 9001 skimmer in the back of my RSM130D, but am really after a skimmer that surface skims. I know a lot of people run the media rack and tunze 9001/9002. but have taken out the media rack and am using a canister filter for running my mechanical filtration and media - this is working really well but because I am not running it through a media rack getting a bit of a film in my back chamber. So ideally looking for a skimmer that takes from the surface like the 9001 does with an attachment, but does fit in the tank with the attachment on.

Any ideas - the 9004 would be ideal, but apparently it doesn't fit (just to note, I have removed the lid and am running hydra LED's so the height at the back isn't an issue, as not sure which way the 9004 didn't fit) There seems to be lots of posts from 2012 - 2015, but not a lot in the last couple of years, so wondering if anyone has any fresh ideas?

In the short term I have ordered a Eheim 350 Surface skimmer, which I am hoping will agitate the water enough to get rid of the film, but wondering if there is a skimmer that can do both jobs.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Dunk

Nobbygas

I had an Eheim 350 Surface Skimmer on my old 100l tank. It does not agitate the surface, but 'sucks' the water through it. It does it very well and cleans up the surface slick. The only problem is I found that I had to wash out the small sponge inside it, as it clogged up every two or three days. When that happens it tends to stop sucking in the water.

Duncan collins

Ok thanks, I was thinking of running it without the sponge and aiming the outlet at my skimmer or filter outlet, just to get it removed form the surface - think that will work?

Ideally I would like a surface skimmmer to replace my tunze

Nobbygas

Ok thanks, I was thinking of running it without the sponge and aiming the outlet at my skimmer or filter outlet, just to get it removed form the surface - think that will work?

Ideally I would like a surface skimmmer to replace my tunze
No. You need the sponge to remove the rubbish/dust from the waters surface, otherwise you are just pushing it back into the water. The surface skimmer outlet is at the bottom of the unit, therefore it's underwater. The surface skimmer is a totally different beast to the Tunze Skimmer. They perform totally different jobs.

Nobbygas

The Tunze Skimmer draws water in from near the bottom of the unit. I think you may be getting confused with the fact they are both called Skimmers, when they actually perform totally different tasks.

Duncan collins

The Tunze Skimmer draws water in from near the bottom of the unit. I think you may be getting confused with the fact they are both called Skimmers, when they actually perform totally different tasks.

Lol. I have a tunze 9001, which draws water in from the bottom, the Eheim skimmer draws surface water in at the top and pushes it out the bottom. My idea is to use the Eheim next to the tunze skimmer so that surface water pulled down by the Eheim is aimed at the tunze skimmer - with me?

If I leave the sponge in it will be a nitrate trap, hoping to use the Eheim as a surface skimmer to remove the film from the surface so that my skimmer (tunze can deal with it at the bottom)

Overall I would like to get rid of both the tunze 9001 skimmer and the Eheim and get a skimmer that takes water from the top (surface skimming) but I don’t know what skimmers would fit in the back of a 130 that surface skim

starsky

The 9001 came with an adapter that fits onto the bottom so that it draws water from the surface (#15 in pic)
bffd499abd5f6e5579a80a8a2e3f8823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duncan collins

The 9001 came with an adapter that fits onto the bottom so that it draws water from the surface (#15 in pic)
bffd499abd5f6e5579a80a8a2e3f8823.jpg

Thanks Starsky - that’s the adapter I was talking about but doesn’t fit in the back of 130 as there is not room

However running the Eheim next to my skimmer is doing a great job
Taken the sponge out so no nitrate trap and no cleaning the sponge

Would recommend to anyone who is removing skimmer basket to try it

starsky

I’ve got a DIY version of the basket so my 9001 I guess is at 90 deg to yours - never used the surface adapter. Might give it a go today

Duncan collins

Let me know how you get on, cause with nothing at all in the back I couldn’t get it to fit..

Still happy for my solution though, good alternative for those that don’t want the skimmer basket

NHJMC

Hoping someone can make me feel better about this skimmer.....

Just got and installed 2-3 days ago (on an RSM 130D) an Intank media basket and the recommended Tunze 9001 skimmer but I am not loving the skimmer. I've told it takes a week to break in but just seems very tiny and well don't feel worth the $117 I paid for it. Sits veryyyy low and not that secure in water either. After tinkering with it for hours I finally just shut it off. The cup keeps filling up with water in minutes only way it won't is if I close air intake just about all the way off. Very frustrating skimmer so far. It's going on day 2 of not running a skimmer and I'm not loving that idea.

Thanks all!

discol76

I have the same skimmer/tank although I haven't set it up yet. It's what almost 99% of people use on these tanks. Hopefully someone can give a bit better advice on what height to mount it at. Once you get that info be patient and let it do its thing. All those people cant be wrong......I hope lol