RSM S 500

Luke Smith

I know with forums there’s lots of information and like many tiny things it’s works with that person, thank you il check the tank for that nipple....
it was mean to say doser dam phone sorry
I’m trying to remember what it was Itl hit me a 2 this morning more than likely
Everyone’s advice has been great and I’m greatfull for all of it

SPR

Nopox is the stuff I was trying to remember
There you go it came back to you! Lol

Nopox is very good for nitrate control, but not for phosphate. I use it on my S650 but along side rhowaphos

Unless you have a very low bioload, and even if you do, I doubt Nopox will lock phosphate down to the ideal very low target of around 0.03ppm to avoid many of the unwanted ‘pests’ like green hair algae for example. It will more than likely keep building up until you get an outbreak of something

If your going to use rhowaphos do it from the very start as it will make things easier. In my new system I had 1kg in from the first days as it also removes silicates that will feed diatoms.

Luke Smith

I was thinking of putting rowophos in a bag in the front compartment of the sump to help control the phosphate like you say....
I found the nipple but it’s been snapped off so I need to make a repair to Be able to use the top up system but it’s not to bad a job to fix

Last edited:

Luke Smith

So Iv cleaned the tank and every thing is ready for RO and salt next weekend and the skimmer too
I’m goin to use Red Sea pro salt
Final question... sand
Iv seen many diffrent options
Live, fine sand, Caribsea

then il run the redsea foundation and noprox with rowophos

SPR

I used the Red Sea Live Fuji Pink in both my systems (no it’s not pink) as the grains not to small.

You don’t wash it and it contains bacteria to help give the system a kick start.

Luke Smith

I picked up my NYOs 160 today it’s a very nice skimmer,
I also picked up 3x Red Sea live reef base 10kg
I’m thinking I might need another few bags say a total of 100kg?

SPR

I picked up my NYOs 160 today it’s a very nice skimmer,
I also picked up 3x Red Sea live reef base 10kg
I’m thinking I might need another few bags say a total of 100kg?
I only used 7 x 10kg of the live reef base in my new tank and the sand is deep in that, so unless you want a 12 inch sand bed I think 100kg might be a bit much.

I would have thought 3 or maybe 4 would be plenty but......

Luke Smith

Brilliant thank you, I’m thinking of buying the TMC eco reef box D with 2 LR to help start the cycling as of next weekend, Il have my iv ready to run but not run it
Il put the 3 bags and see how it is and go from there.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Brilliant thank you, I’m thinking of buying the TMC eco reef box D with 2 LR to help start the cycling as of next weekend, Il have my iv ready to run but not run it
Il put the 3 bags and see how it is and go from there.
Why dont you just get some ATM Colony and cycle the tank with it. It cycles it straight away, job done and fish in and off you go ?

Luke Smith

True true, il get some of that too with the bio reef give a week or two to let things rest then start with clean up crew say in 3 weeks if the levels are all ok

Reactions: SPR

Luke Smith

So today I couldn’t resist not goin to the LFS I had a little spend and got TMC ecoreef rock, test kits, a total of 6 redsea live sand and piping to finish off the return, over the week il have the UV plumed up to, the rock I went with a simple design but allow good flow and for rich or anything to swim through it as well

Attachments

• 0C311E13-989B-4919-97BD-28448B836A20.jpeg
    0C311E13-989B-4919-97BD-28448B836A20.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 605A9C58-4A91-46C0-AADC-0A8FE778B9F3.jpeg
    605A9C58-4A91-46C0-AADC-0A8FE778B9F3.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 4A2BD09B-2075-44A7-B9C6-3C947EC620EA.jpeg
    4A2BD09B-2075-44A7-B9C6-3C947EC620EA.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5144948E-FBAB-413D-B62A-4D9D54A37640.jpeg
    5144948E-FBAB-413D-B62A-4D9D54A37640.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 21
  • E9A1E74F-6491-472D-AE91-2078910A3D8A.jpeg
    E9A1E74F-6491-472D-AE91-2078910A3D8A.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 8

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great start !

index.php

Luke Smith

Today I brought a 4 stage reverse osmosis unit and I’m slowly filling the tank I said on another forum I was going to use redsea pro salt I got this answer-

I wouldn't use Red Sea Pro for a new tank.
You'd have elevated element levels, without anything to suck it up.
The Red Sea blue bucket would be suitable

I think that’s the right way forward?
What’s your thoughts?

... so by next weekend I’m hoping my tank will be filled then il get the salinity right and get some ATM colony have all my skimmer and pumps running too then hopefully

Luke Smith

Also have you guys put the skimmer on the base or on the raised platform in the sump, what bags are you useing for your rowophos?