RSM S 500

Nobbygas

I stopped using the socks. They were a pain to keep clean. I now use the Red Sea Media Cups and put filter floss in them. It's really easy to change the floss and overall it's quicker than cleaning the socks.

Pancho75

I’d get the NYOS 160 as it has the cup drain attachment

Check it will fit but @Pancho75 has one in his S500
Yes the Nyos 160 fits in the S500 sump without problems. It is much quiet and efficient, you can see it in one of the pictures I post earlier in this thread.

Reactions: SPR

Luke Smith

Evening
Tomorrow il be ordering
So my order list
Nyos 160
Deltec NFP509 reactor
Uv
Rowaphose 1000 ml
Seachem matrix
Carbon
Ordered the cups with media floss
Heater

I looked this evening I think I’m going to remove the manifold as now iv not got the C-skim it serves no purpose

Pancho75

Evening
Tomorrow il be ordering
So my order list
Nyos 160
Deltec NFP509 reactor
Uv
Rowaphose 1000 ml
Seachem matrix
Carbon
Ordered the cups with media floss
Heater

I looked this evening I think I’m going to remove the manifold as now iv not got the C-skim it serves no purpose
Your shopping list looks great, especially the Nyos 160.

Are you planning to add a chiller down thr road? if yes the manifold would have a purpose otherwise no pb.

Reactions: SPR

Luke Smith

Im not sure if il need it if I’m honest, the lighting is LED so that won’t produce heat my house is generally cool too, il monitor that if I need one il pick one up, I’m not gonna use that reactor but will have the carbon in bags not sure about the rowophos but I’m sure I had it in a chamber in the sump

Nobbygas

Im not sure if il need it if I’m honest, the lighting is LED so that won’t produce heat my house is generally cool too, il monitor that if I need one il pick one up, I’m not gonna use that reactor but will have the carbon in bags not sure about the rowophos but I’m sure I had it in a chamber in the sump
I find in the winter I don't need the cooling nor heating functions. The LED's do give off heat, as do all the pumps, and this is normally enough to keep the water to the required temperature. In the Summer I do need a chiller, as it can reach 40 degrees here ! It's mass hysteria in the UK when it reaches 30 degrees :)

SPR

I’ve never used a chiller for the S650 in summer, I just have a large pedestal fan pointing at the surface and it keeps the heat well under control and in autumn in gets put away. It will easily cool the water from around 30c to 25-26c.

I do however have the new Teco 2000e in my new system, yet to be turned on.

If your using rhowaphos you really need it in a reactor or it won’t work properly especially in a tank that size.. The reactor you’ve ordered is a nitrate reactor so you need something like the FR509 or maybe the NYOS Torq’s or whatever you fancy.

Also if your using a nitrate reactor you probably don’t need the Seachem Matrix ?

On the manifold, you can use the green tube that fed the c skim to feed a reactor. mine still feeds the FR509 with rhowaphos

Last edited:

Luke Smith

I spoke to nobbygas he’s said maybe look at another reactor rather than the NYOS torque or il get 2 DD FMR75 one for carbon one for rowophos, on the DD reactors il run them via a pump
Sorry I was mistaken I don’t think I need a Deltec NFP509

I can’t find where you attach the pipe on the Top up tank at the back of the DT

Last edited:

Luke Smith

Today my skimmer has been ordered I spoke to the chap in the shop that’s running a RSM650 he’s not running rowophos or carbon but another fluid to do the same job via a foster sorry I can’t remember the name of it now and to me sounds the right route for me to go sown

SPR

I spoke to nobbygas he’s said maybe look at another reactor rather than the NYOS torque or il get 2 DD FMR75 one for carbon one for rowophos, on the DD reactors il run them via a pump
Sorry I was mistaken I don’t think I need a Deltec NFP509

I can’t find where you attach the pipe on the Top up tank at the back of the DT
If you look at the picture on post 14 you took of the back of the tank, there is a round black/grey cap on the right hand side. From memory the nipple is at the bottom of it to attach the RO water tube to.

You don’t ‘need’ a reactor for carbon. There is a weir in the sump (just before the return section) and if you get some media bags you can just lay it in there. Just use around 200-250g and change it every 4 weeks and you will be fine.

Below is an old picture of my sump, but it’s the same apart from the media on the LHS is now Seachem matrix. Oh and you can simply look with envy and admiration at my skim mate locker!

The carbon is in the middle chamber at the front. The green tube in the middle feeds the FR509 rhowaphos reactor from the main return so if you still have that (it fed the c skim) you don’t need an extra pump.

4B28D05F-E0DF-47CF-8757-33F27539F59E.jpeg

Last edited:

SPR

Today my skimmer has been ordered I spoke to the chap in the shop that’s running a RSM650 he’s not running rowophos or carbon but another fluid to do the same job via a foster sorry I can’t remember the name of it now and to me sounds the right route for me to go sown

A bit of a tip for you. Before you listen to advice from anyone, (apart from me of course ! Lol) research yourself what they have said and also take a look at their tank pictures to make sure they now what their doing. @Nobbygas @Pancho75 Definitely ignore this pair! (joking!) Lol

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there, much of given with the best intentions. Of course there are many ways to run a reef tank, but there are also successful reef tanks, and not so.

Whats ‘via a foster’ ? I assume that’s a typo but it’s like a word game, what does he mean !! Lol

And have you remembered what it’s called yet ?

Last edited: