RSM 130 / tunze / inTank media questions

spiraling

I'm tired of the really loud skimmer on the rsm 130. The rsm sounds like a 747 landing in the living room once the fans are on too.

I saw the new tunze 9001. Is it the best skimmer option? I would like it to go in the back sump, not underneath as I don't have an external sump on the tank. I also don't want an HOB, although I do like my reef octopus on a different tank. I'm concerned the 9001 isn't big enough. It's rated to 35gal and my tank is 34. If course rock fills 2-3 gallons, but its pretty close to the limits.

I was also thinking the inTank media basket. I am currently not running any media. I know a lot of people run carbon and gfo. That might help with some algae I have. Is it better to go with a media basket or something like the BRS mini reactor? I'm new to salt water and I'm not sure about reactors vs just dry for a tank this size.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

spiraling

Ok - someone asked the same question about the media rack vs reactor right before me. I guess great minds think alike :) I'll follow the answers there.

So anyone on the tunze question?

spiraling

Thanks lewig, that does look like it gets better reviews and is very quiet.
How did you mount it without the media rack? All the posts I've seen have it stuck with magnets to the rack.
Did you need to put in a divider wall of any type with the inflow since the stock skimmer acts as one?

lewig

Thanks lewig, that does look like it gets better reviews and is very quiet.
How did you mount it without the media rack? All the posts I've seen have it stuck with magnets to the rack.
Did you need to put in a divider wall of any type with the inflow since the stock skimmer acts as one?
Turboflotor coming with set of mounting hardware -rail and 2 sets of spacers. I mounted skimmer on the divider wall, where heater located ( in between "chamber of death" and "sump") by using included mounting hardware. Only additional component that i used -2 plastic ties. I tried different combination, my intention was to have water level in rear chamber lower than in display, surface skimmer raised to the max. to reduce film/floating particles on the water surface and also to increase evaporation rate ( i am dosing kalk, but before evap.rate wasn't enough to replenish calcium and alk. demand).I'll try to make a photo and post it later.

Tahiti

I've been looking into the CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite Nano Pipeless Protein skimmer.

Will this skimmer fit in the back of a RSM-130D?

Dimensions: 3.25 x 3.25" x 15"

[video=youtube_share;Rr1gSZcEJ8s]http://youtu.be/Rr1gSZcEJ8s[/video]

spiraling

Turboflotor coming with set of mounting hardware -rail and 2 sets of spacers. I mounted skimmer on the divider wall, where heater located ( in between "chamber of death" and "sump") by using included mounting hardware. Only additional component that i used -2 plastic ties. I tried different combination, my intention was to have water level in rear chamber lower than in display, surface skimmer raised to the max. to reduce film/floating particles on the water surface and also to increase evaporation rate ( i am dosing kalk, but before evap.rate wasn't enough to replenish calcium and alk. demand).I'll try to make a photo and post it later.

Thanks lewig!
I would love to see a picture. Not quite sure where the cable ties are going. My torboflotor will be here next week. Good bye noisy bad skimmer!