Rock flower anemone question

Matt27

My 65 gallon has been up and running for almost two weeks now. I'm starting to see a little bit of bacteria spots here and there on the dead rock, mostly around where I seeded it with live rock from my year and a half old tank, I also put bacteria in a bottle and am dosing Ammonia for another week then switching to ghost feeding for a few weeks. I know I'm a little ways away from having fish in there, next week I'm gonna put a few snails and crabs in there to help out with the bacteria growth. My question here is when do you think i could put a couple rock flower anemones in the tank if I spot feed them and work my tank around what they need for a few months? I had an idea to try and get them spawning and get a bunch to grow all over because I won't have many coral and I love the way they look. Turns out, other people had the idea a long time ago lol nonetheless, I still love the idea and really want to give it a go. If I am successful in my experiment I will only be having my two clowns, my two blue damsels, my cleaner shrimp, two fire shrimp, and maybe a tang of some sorts in the tank. I had a few ideas for other fish but I figure I'll wait and see if the anemone thing works out before I start getting serious about them.

DaveK

Rock flower anemones are not nearly as demanding as most other anemones. Even so, don't add them to your tank right away. Wait a few months after the initial cycle is complete and your ammonia readings and nitrite readings have been 0 for awhile.

When feeding anemones, once a week is plenty. Don't over do this.

As a note clowns seldom try to host in rock flower anemones, but then you never know for sure.

Matt27

Rock flower anemones are not nearly as demanding as most other anemones. Even so, don't add them to your tank right away. Wait a few months after the initial cycle is complete and your ammonia readings and nitrite readings have been 0 for awhile.

When feeding anemones, once a week is plenty. Don't over do this.

As a note clowns seldom try to host in rock flower anemones, but then you never know for sure.
I plan on putting one or two bubble tip anemones in there for the clowns to host, but that wont be for a while, I know bubble tips need a well established tank. I definitely plan on waiting until my water parameters are acceptable and consistent before adding the RFA. From what I've been able to gather is RFA's are on the more hardy side of anemones and I have seen quite a few people put them in at the pre 6 month stage as long as the water is at acceptable perimeters and consistent and the anemone is the sole primary focus of the tank. That seemed early to me But the nems where thriving, even spawning in a few months from what I read, so now I'm confused and am re thinking what I know about it all lol

DaveK

Think of it in these terms. Your almost never going to have any problems by waiting a bit longer, but it's real easy to create a disaster by moving too quickly.

Most people new to the hobby rush in far too quickly, and then get into trouble.

Matt27

Think of it in these terms. Your almost never going to have any problems by waiting a bit longer, but it's real easy to create a disaster by moving too quickly.

Most people new to the hobby rush in far too quickly, and then get into trouble.
I wouldn't consider myself new to the hobby, I would consider myself a fairly new tank owner though. I've been taking care of a good friends saltwater tank for probably 8 years now (he travels a lot for work.) About a year and a half ago I started a little 10 gallon nano in my room for something to look at before I got my new tv, turns out I still watch the tank more lol now I'm upgrading so something I can have far more options with. I'm definitely not in any rush to get things going, I just know its gonna be a long process and I'd like to shut down my 10 gallon to save some money by only having one tank to care for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk