RO / DI filters

Icebox

So I recently moved into a house that A) has a well, and B) has a 5 micron filter for the house.

So I have a 5 stage RO / DI unit that currently has a 5 mil prefilter, a 5 mil carbon filter followed by a 1 mil carbon before the RO and DI.

Since the house lines have a 5 mil prefilter, would you add an addition carbon filter, or change the 5 mil prefilter to a 1 mil prefilter to help keep the carbon cleaner longer?

I guess I have an extra stage so what would you use it for, or would you use it at all?

Mike

johnlewis

My first question is do you have a softener ?
Second question is the RO/DI before or after the softener ?
Do you have a lot of iron in your water ?

mps9506

When I lived up in Greensboro (I have no idea what you water is like compared to there), we had very soft water.
I Usually add a 10 micron carbon block as a prefilter to my shower, and sink and ro/di. This does reduce pressure a little bit esp. as it clogs up. But it removes most of the chlorine for me. I don't know if this is nec. with well water (never been on it before).
On my 5 stage unit I run a 10 micron sed. filter followed by a 5 micron carbon and then usually a 1 or 2 micron carbon. This helps prevent pressure loss before reaching the ro membrane and maximuze production.
HTH... I'm sure there are some folks on the board that are better qualified to answer than me. I just go by what I read off the air water ice website.
Mike

Icebox

That seems to make logical sense, but if you are running a 10 mil filter on the house, would a 10 mil prefilter in the Ro / DI take anything out? (I guess it would take a few particles that slip by out, thus being an improvement, and last a long time...)

johnlewis

Well based on you answers I don't think its going to make a whole lot of difference. The first filter is on your RO/DI is going to last a long time.

mps9506

If you are running a 10 mil sediment filter, then a 10 mil carbon filter will not get clogged, but still remove impurities out of the water.
Mike

dwall174

Just to be sure what's in your water I would get a well water test kit that tests for hydrogen sulfide & iron, You should be able to get one from a farmers supply store! If you have high levels of hydrogen sulfide or iron they make several products that will remove this before hand.

I use to have well water & I had a large 2 stage house filter set-up! The first filter was a 20” long x 4” wide 20-micron sediment cartridge, After that I ran a product called “WaterSweet” in another 20” x 4” refillable cartridge. I use to change the sediment filter 4 times a year & refill the WaterSweet media twice a year. This was for the whole house & I just ran my RO/DI as normally after that. Being that I didn’t need the chlorine removal of a 1 micron carbon block filter to protect the membrane, I was able to just use a 5 micron sediment cartridge & a couple of inexpensive GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) filters

Icebox

Ah Doug, a wealth of information. I will look for a well test kit ASAP. Thank you for your experience and knowledge on this subject. Great info... :)

Thanks again.

dwall174

Here's a LINK that may help you find a test kit near you, If not you cant order one from there. I use to get my supplies from Quality Farm & fleet but they have closed the stores around here!