Reef Octopus Skimmer Advice Please

brikeibur

So I am debating on which Reef Octopus skimmer to get for my system.

I have a 76g half circle tank with a 30g sump filled about 1/2 full, so around 90g of water total. The skimmer will go into the sump (no hang on or external as there is no room under my stand).

I do not know the differences between a recirculating and a normal skimmer, both seems to have a needle wheel which is supposed to boost output...best I can tell is the recirculating holds the water in the skimmer longer because it runs it back through the skimmer before pumping it back into the tank???

I am looking at these two skimmers, I would like some advice and input which you guys think will perform better. I am just looking for a good skimmer, without breaking the bank, and one that will perform quietly....thank you!

Just click the name to go to the site and read about it:

Reef Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer *2009 Model

OC3501-2T.jpg

Reef Octopus DNWB-110 Protein Skimmer *2009 Model
OC1023-2T.jpg

Thanks!!

astiesi

I actually just purchased the NWB-150 and I am quite impressed with the quality of the unit. Unfortunately I have yet to put it to use so I cannot comment on the performance of the unit.

The difference between the recirculating mode DNWB and the NWB is the DNWB pulls water from the skimmer itself, mixes with air and sends it back into the skimmer. You have to either plumb the skimmer into your drain line or provide a second pump to get water into the skimmer itself. It is supposed to be more effecient. I can't really comment on this either due to lack of experience.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I have a Octo DNWB 150 recirculating on my 90 gallon reef. Recirculators are the more efficient design, because they increase contact time for both water and bubbles. Here's what is going on - I have a 30 gallon sump, a standard 30 long tank with some baffles I added. In the last compartment I have a small pump (Hydor L20) feeding water to the skimmer at a 185 GPH, which is the feed pump. As the water being fed is throttled back by the standpipe on the skimmer, the flow is actually less; this is not a problem as you are looking for 1-1.5x your tank volume through a recirculating skimmer per hour.

The feed pump pumps the water into the bubble chamber. The recirculating pump is an Octo 2000, which pumps water at 2000 LPH, 528 GPH, draws water and air bubbles out of the reaction chamber and sends it into the bubble chamber - recirculating it if you will. The water will pass on average 3x through the recirculating pump before being returned to the sump. Contact time is thereby increased, and the water being returned is very clean.

Its a more efficient design. Conventional needlewheel skimmers push large volumes of water through the skimmer - this is not strictly necessary. It is done only because in order to pull the large air volumes you need powerful pumps. A skimmer only has to process the volume of the tank in an hour. Conventional skimmers pass the water through so quickly that contact time is short. However, they pass so much water that they make up for it somewhat.

I feel you will be happy with either skimmer. I really like the 2009 Octo skimmer redesign. The cone at the top of the skimmer body makes for a gradual transition, and the cylinder inside over the bubble plate reduces turbulence. You get a lot of turbulence within the bubble chamber. A wide neck at the collection cup is like the cherry on top.

It is a good design - should be, Bubble King dreamed it up; and they are as good as a skimmer gets.

Connecting up a recirculator is very easy - a powerhead and a hose is all you need. Here is a picture of mine

100_0661.jpg

I went with the external skimmer to keep the skimmer pump out of the tank and help manage my heat. Also, the skimmer can be left on during water changes, a definite bonus

HTH

Both skimmers you are looking at are great and will do you well. I have an 08 design NW110 and it works very well. The new design looks awesome. The DNWB150 will be good or the NW150 both are priced about the same and perform about the same. Just keep in mind the neeed for a supply pump for the DWNB. Pick the one that will suite you the best. If you have little sump room a DNWB is external( can be used out of sump). If you want an in sump go with the NW150.

brikeibur

Thanks guys, you all have been extremely helpful. I have learned a lot.

So, as far as noise output which one do you think is quieter? I would initially think the NWB is quieter since it does not require 2 pumps, but that is just my initial thought...

I'll think about what exactly I need for my specific set-up and let that help me decide on which one, since I now know that both will perform well.

Thanks again!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Mine is pretty quiet. Can't compare as I haven't heard them side by side. My Vertex IN100 made more noise, so did my ER100