Reef Fish and HLLE

reefshadow

Hey, Folks-

I got a call from the manager of our local petco about 5 months ago saying that someone who was breaking down an aquarium brought in an angel who was suffering from very advanced head erosion, did I want it? I expressed doubt because I knew this angel wouldn't be compatable with my reef but I went to take a look anyway. Iwas soooo dismayed by the condition of this fish that I said I would take it!

I brought it home, put it in the 80 gallon 'fuge and snapped a few pics. The head erosion was so advanced that the flesh was raw and ulcerated in some areas and I doubted that the angel would make it. To make matters worse it didn't begin to feed for almost a week, no matter what food I tried.

Then he settled in and began feeding and the healing began, fast!

I feed him a diet of my home made food consisting of raw shrimp, squid, mussel, clam, and octopus, blended with selco and frozen flat in a gallon ziplock bag. He also eats any kind of macros and seaweed selects (purple and green).

The head erosion is still there 5 months later but slowly healing. I wanted to share my success and ask for any other tips or success stories that anyone else wants to share.

Now the "crypt keeper"koran resides in my 125 propagation tank and luckily doesn't bother anything. He seems very happy and isn't at all shy.

Here's a pic when I first brought him home.

:)

Attachments

• koran hlle.jpg
    koran hlle.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Dennis7

Reefshadow,
I remember your post on RAG. Please post a updated picture of the improvement.
Great job on saving the fish.

reefshadow

I've also had great success with tangs and rabbitfish with hlle. here's some pics of a purple tang who was stuck in an agressive petco tank w/ eels and triggers for months, I talked the manager down to 25 dollars! :) The first pics were taken two weeks after bringing him home and the erosion was already starting to resolve.

Attachments

• hlle r side.jpg
    hlle r side.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 52

sharks

Contributing Member
WOW an old thread renewed.
I remember this fish :D How are things? Can you post the most recent pic? Like I said only time can heals a wound so deep. And even then he/she may be scarred for life.
Keep up the good work :thumbups:
S

^EDIT^
Referring to the Koran :)

reefshadow

yeah, the most recent pic of the koran is the second one. the healing had slowed down, but it could be in part because the 125 tank he's now in is only 3 months old, the nitrates are just now starting to approach <10ppm, from >80. It seems to be speeding up again now.

I hope he turns out as nice as my tang did, but it was so severe I wouldn't be suprised if some scarring is left forever.

I guess the moral of my thread is no matter how severe this problem seems it can be resolved, so if you can get a bargain hlle fish, go for it!

I would love to hear experiences or see before/after pics from others who have had success with this problem. Any tips/pointers? Would also be interested in anyones views on how this starts and the best way to resolve it. In my experience it starts with poor water quality and diet, and is resolved by providing just the opposite. Interestingly enough, neither of my tanks have a grounding probe, though i've heard that stray voltage can be a factor. (Don't think so myself).

Also, can anyone tell me how to post multiple pics in the same post? lol.

seeya! Becca:)

BoomerD

I also sent ya some karma for doing a great job of healing. Too many people would just toss the fish out over this, and it's sad, because it's generally a matter of poor water quality & poor nutrition. Correcting those things will USUALLY start the healing process.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: