Red Sea Max LED Conversions

bhazard

You can add my Chinese led fixture. Nova A4 off a hanging kit. You can see it in my revival thread.

The chinese black boxes are 120 watts and $165 and Nova A4 is $230, shipped in 2-3 days from Hong Kong. You can customize the leds you want too.

Using the RSM 130 canopy used to be a gigantic heat trap and oxygen killer, but with a LED mod, I could see it being usable again. I still prefer an open canopy myself.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One light that isn't "approved" for In-Canopy installation but I think it will work splendidly is the GHL Mitras LED pendant. The manufacturer is covering their bases by saying no canopy installation yet but I know for a fact that my RSM130D hood is cooler with LED than it was with the stock bulbs from RSM.

ausreef

ive ordered a couple of new LED boards from Martin (modular LED) they are both 1xred and 1xgreen so i will be replacing i blue with a red/green and 1 white with a red/green,any one else experimented with different colors

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ive ordered a couple of new LED boards from Martin (modular LED) they are both 1xred and 1xgreen so i will be replacing i blue with a red/green and 1 white with a red/green,any one else experimented with different colors

Actually I'm about to do exactly the opposite. I installed Red & Green from Martin and I'm going to swap them out. I would leave them if they were independently controllable but they are not. When they are turned up in intensity they over-load the tank with Red & Green and it really looks like a flashback from an Austin Powers movie (Oh yea Babbbbyyyyy!). It really does mess with the over-all colors of the tank. If I were to do it again I'd install them on their own driver with a dimmer and then I could "tone them down".

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Would be interesting to see if someone could squeeze this into either the 130 or 250 as its a pretty big fit.

Chris since I know some people (hint hint) have been able to get a Radion inside of a 250 hood then I see no reason why the GHL Mitras won't fit.

Mitras 13.3"L x 7"W x 1.57"H
Radion 11.8"L x 7"W x 1.52"H

So they are very close in form factor and with only 0.05" difference in thickness I would think it should fit just as well.

From talking with GHL from Germany my "hunch" as to why they say "Not Canopy Installation Approved" is because a canopy if not designed/installed correctly is a heat and moisture building point. If not properly ventilated and cooled it gets hotter and wetter than a public gyms steam room and as of yet they aren't willing to risk that on a new fixture. Of course from experience I can tell you that the RSM hood is well ventilated and if the factory splash shield is utilized it stays very dry inside the hood. I would have absolutely no reservation installing a Mitras inside of an RSM hood if I had the opportunity.

Chris since I know some people (hint hint) have been able to get a Radion inside of a 250 hood then I see no reason why the GHL Mitras won't fit.
Mitras 13.3"L x 7"W x 1.57"H
Radion 11.8"L x 7"W x 1.52"H
So they are very close in form factor and with only 0.05" difference in thickness I would think it should fit just as well.

From talking with GHL from Germany my "hunch" as to why they say "Not Canopy Installation Approved" is because a canopy if not designed/installed correctly is a heat and moisture building point. If not properly ventilated and cooled it gets hotter and wetter than a public gyms steam room and as of yet they aren't willing to risk that on a new fixture. Of course from experience I can tell you that the RSM hood is well ventilated and if the factory splash shield is utilized it stays very dry inside the hood. I would have absolutely no reservation installing a Mitras inside of an RSM hood if I had the opportunity.

Looking at the width and depth, pretty much the same. There's plenty of space left on the length, so this wouldn't appear to be an issue. Still interested to see someone squeeze one in as a comparison.

The cover on the 250's pretty water tight and there's been absolutely no ingress to the light. So it could work.

ausreef

Actually I'm about to do exactly the opposite. I installed Red & Green from Martin and I'm going to swap them out. I would leave them if they were independently controllable but they are not. When they are turned up in intensity they over-load the tank with Red & Green and it really looks like a flashback from an Austin Powers movie (Oh yea Babbbbyyyyy!). It really does mess with the over-all colors of the tank. If I were to do it again I'd install them on their own driver with a dimmer and then I could "tone them down".

bowing to your experience i have fitted one red/green in the center replacing a white/white, im very pleased with the effect with the red corals appearing more prominent,it will be interesting to see over time whether or not they improve in color,the loss in red coloration becoming a known issue with blue/white leds only,would like a couple of uv's but cree dont make them yet,on this subject im wondering whether the RSM moon light driver would drive a 3w bridgelux uv, any thoughts?

arom

I converted my RSM250 to LEDs back in April using Rapid LED.

24 x CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED
24 x CREE XP-G R5 Cool White 3W LED
2 x Mean Well ELN-60-48D

I may swap out some of the Cool Whites to Neutral whites to get a bit more of the warm spectrum. Was also debating of going with a couple of red LEDs. So far I love the color and the MH shimmer that it has compared to the T5's

Acanman

Anybody use StevesLEDs.com tetrokit for RSM 250? Im looking for a kit where i dont have to do any wire splicing, electrical work etc....

eric w

Hi all... I really have no knowledge of LEDs but seems like a cool addition... I'm really interested in these GHL LEDs that are mentioned in this thread... I see they are pretty pricing... Would the unit do everything that could be done with LEDs or would more items need to be added at a later date??? Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Each GHL Mitras is a full function unit and is able to do sunrise/set, clouds passing over, lightning and everything else your heart desires.

sent from Outer Space via Droid Razr Maxx

eric w

Hey Al... As I indicated I don't know much about LEDs but you had thought that these would fit under the RSM hood...do you think the stock ventilation would be enough on top of what is built into those units? Also any suggestions on how you would mount one of these. I know an order would need to be placed and it would take some time to get one.. Just trying to think ahead if I decide to do this thing, thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I really don't know about mounting but where there's a will..... :)

I would guess it would work great in every aspect but until we get one in hand and someone is the guinea pig it's just a guess.

sent from Outer Space via Droid Razr Maxx

eric w

I know I saw it somewhere... Just not sure where ... I was looking for some pictures of the guts of the 250 hood.. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thx

I know I saw it somewhere... Just not sure where ... I was looking for some pictures of the guts of the 250 hood.. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thx

PM me with your email address and I'll add you to my drop box from a lighting conversion I did.