Question of the week: June 4, 2012

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The "Question of the week" for this week is:

201205RedPlanet.jpg

Red Planet SPS coral - Acropora sp
by luisgo

In your experience, what is the HARDEST/TOUGHEST coral to keep and what makes it that way?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For me (once again) it's

201205RedPlanet.jpg

Red Planet SPS coral - Acropora sp

I have a tough time because it's so light "sensitive" and I'm striving for a certain color. I change color of the lights and this coral changes as well.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
For me, Al it has to be millipora. Really sensitive coral with the ability to rtn at the speed of, well quick enough to require cutting. Shame too, I love the milli's.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

tnwillia

Goniopora, true red with blue centers.

Here are growth shots of my 3 year old Goniopora prior to my tank crack. While many have problems with these, I believe my luck was in running an LPS tank with a little less than perfect water readings. This guy never had a shortage of food. While I did target feed him now and then I didn't really need to. He was happy to the end!

Flower Pot Coral - True Red

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02335.jpg

DaveK

I'd say the toughest coral to keep is the one you can't seem to get to live in your own tank. It's kind of strange, but many people that have fantastic reef tanks are unable to keep some types of coral, even though everything else is doing well. This may even be a coral that is considered easy to keep by others, such as xenia, or GSP.

For myself, I never seem to have any success with open brain corals. I've not tried one for a long time now, and I hope I have a little better understanding of them, so I may try again. Yes, it's considered an easy coral.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well said Dave :)

Matt I have to admit I've had a terrible time with Milli as well :)

dmatt88

Well said Dave :)

Matt I have to admit I've had a terrible time with Milli as well :)

Dave said it best. Strange thing about tanks every tank has an unknown piece of the puzzle making some pieces easy when they should b tough n vice versa. Strange reef world.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

Funlad3

Elegance. I got a really healthy one that had been in the store for a few weeks, and it did excellently in my tank for three or four months. then the temperature in the tank went up 4º in 24 hours (which isn't horrible, everything else survived) which also pushed up evaporation, making my salinity 1.0275. Everything else was perfectly happy, the elegance kicked it. :( I'm definitely not getting another unless I have a 500 gallon+ system.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Goniopora was a very difficult coral for me to keep alive, he lasted about 9 months & after about 3 months, slowly went down hill, I read all I could, but to no avail, he slowly shriveled away.

Have read... Goniopora may grow in murky or clear water depending on the species. Because different species have such different requirements, it adds to the challenge of keeping them alive.

In our mixed reef tanks, I can see where it is hard for some corals to be at there optimal conditions - because we like to keep so many different ones.

800px-Goniopora_closeup.jpg