Question of the week: July 9th, 2012

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The "Question of the week" for this week is:

BrittleStarGorg.JPG

QOTW -In regards to aquariums.... What is the worst advice you've ever gotten (and why)?

Brandon78

Does lack of actual advice count. When I was new to the hobby the pet store forgot to mention that a certain fish needed a certain food. I know now to research before you buy fish. Obviously it was my fault too, but if I worked at a store and someone new was buying a fish that didnt eat flakes I would think I need to mention that. I also was asking about sumps before I built mine and they told me they have no idea what a sump is.....

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
"Add *insert product here* to fix *insert problem here* in the tank."

Nothing is ever removed by adding stuff.

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think "reef safe" ich medications might be one of the worst statements/advice out there.......just a devestating and expensive mistake!

steved13

PREMIUM
That's a tough one....I've gotten some wrong advice, (even from an expert) but it was wrong enough that I knew it didn't make sense and ignored it.

Probably I was sold a Trachy as a Scolly...I still have the trachy and like it just the same...A rose by any other name...

TheBishop

24 LEDs is enough for a reef tank
2 750 gph powerheads is enough for a reef tank

WRONG AND WRONG lol I no longer buy from that LFS

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I was told to cycle my tank with a clown fish. Its still alive tho. He's a grumpy old cuss too.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

I was told to buy these piece of crap for a 55 gallon tank. These ran by creating a siphon and the problem was that this ran into a 5 gallon sump (some more bad advice) I flooded my living room more times than I can count.
Also some more bad advice I got was to purchase PC lighting for a reef tank. I even asked about MH lighting and I was told that was a bad idea. All the bad advice came all at once and from the same person. It was when I was first starting
a reef tank and was ordering the stuff to convert my freshwater tank into a reef tank. It didnt take me long to find out I recieved some pretty bad advice, the power went out so my return pumped stopped working and you know what happend there.
I then had to spend more money to get the right stuff.
Aquarium Water Movement: Lifegard Aquatics Customflo Water System