QT without an established tank

sneaks03

A friend of mine just noticed that one of his fish has ich, bummer. Another bummer is that he does not have another tank setup for QT/Hospital, so what can be done to treat the fish or setup the QT quickly so he can treat all his fish?

leebca

The answer is covered in this post:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

In short, the QT will be setup without an active biological filter. If any of the active bacteria from the biological filter (like bio-balls, filter pad, etc.) from the DT system that doesn't contain carbonates can be used in the QT, that is better than nothing. Run the QT and keep testing for ammonia and nitrites, as noted below, with water changes, as noted below.

If nothing is available to get the biological filtration going, setup and run the QT with a new sponge filter(s) in operation. Transfer fish into QT (you can use DT water to start it off). Now do ammonia and nitrite readings three or four times a day, using a test kit (not test strips). Each time you find any detectable amount of either, perform a large water change (over 80%) following recommended procedures for a large water change: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

sneaks03

Thanks Lee, I knew if anyone could help it would be you! I think he has learned his lesson though as he is running an emperor biowheel on his DT to get it seeded. Then plans to leave it up with atleast one non aggressive fish in the QT. Thanks agian!

lcstorc

I wouldn't leave a fish in the QT. When you get another fish that needs QT you would need to remove the fish. I would just keep the seeded sponge ready so you can set one up when needed. If you are planning to add several new fish then you could leave it up and feed the tank a bit to keep the biological filter going.

sneaks03

He said he wants to leave it up as a FO tank with a flame hawkfish so he can have him and not have to worry about putting shrimp or anything else in the DT. He does not plan on putting any inverts in the second tank incase he has to treat a fish for disease. Don't kill me Lynn just his words, I am trying to convince him to use it only as a QT.