Purple tang or powder blue

Talon33

Haha these years of "small" tanks and doing them on a budget only builds character and let's you appreciate it later right? But yeah not sure what I would want to do, if its going to be the only tang I want it to be a show fish for sure

LSUFireGal

I have a whole heard of tangs. Not my stocking choices, the tank came stocked. So far so good, but I know it is just a matter of time.

My tangs- 2 blue tangs. 5.5in and 3.5 in
1 Sohal Tang. 8 in (kind of a butthead)
1 Chevron Tang 7 in (very well behaved)
1 yellow 3 inches. (Nice little guy)
And last but not least...
2 Purple Tangs 7 in and 4 inches.

Yeah I am prepared for the inevitable battle royale.

If you want a yellow dont get a purple. If my tank wasn't big the purples would pick on the yellow relentlessly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Talon33

I think the PBT is a show fish in its own right, the only people that see my tank thinkits amazing because its the only saltwater tank they have ever seen when my tank looks looks worse than about 60% of the hobbyist maybe more haha but holy cow I'm scared to ask the tank size but I must know, good news is you have some pretty good money in tangs you can sell

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Go for the one which gives the most color contrast to your tank :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I have a whole heard of tangs. Not my stocking choices, the tank came stocked. So far so good, but I know it is just a matter of time.

My tangs- 2 blue tangs. 5.5in and 3.5 in
1 Sohal Tang. 8 in (kind of a butthead)
1 Chevron Tang 7 in (very well behaved)
1 yellow 3 inches. (Nice little guy)
And last but not least...
2 Purple Tangs 7 in and 4 inches.

Yeah I am prepared for the inevitable battle royale.

If you want a yellow dont get a purple. If my tank wasn't big the purples would pick on the yellow relentlessly.

Holy smokes!! Do you have a 1000g tank?

LSUFireGal

Holy smokes!! Do you have a 1000g tank?

No....prepare yourself....220.

Like I said this is not my stocking. You should see the rest of the fish list. Angels, a big yellow blotch rabbit, marine beta and so many more, 40 in all. The only fish I added were my tiny blue tang, my clown pair (in sump) and a tailspot blenny from my 60. I rehomed my Scopas, I fear a nuclear war would have broken out.

Ironically the sohal seems to pick on the rabbit occasionally and that is the only aggression I see. I do feed several times a day and hang nori which helps I think. These fish were added in the perfect order, he had very clear records so that I could add them back in the same order.

This is Kyle's Reef. Facebook.com/kylesreef if you want to see pics. Yiu dont need a facebook to see it.

Talon33

Wow awesome set up, I don't have the manhood to try it though! You probably have more money in fish than I have in my entire set up! But interesting you say contrast my tank. Do you mean contrast tank background or other fish because I don't have any blue, but I don't have any purple besides the rear end of a gramma, back and sides are painted black and running LEDs over it, don't know if that helps anyone decide, 10000k LEDs with some actinic

ohiojeff

I love my purple tang. if you put them into your new tank at the same time so they settle in together you should be fine. when you have trouble is if one is established and you try adding one. then all hell tends to break loose. I don't think you can go wrong with either tang. they are both great fish.

Talon33

I love the purple but 200 on it is pretty high, never ordered from liveaquaria so I'm kinda iffy on that

LSUFireGal

e8uryze7.jpg

This is LSU. I get a lot of compliments on him that's for sure.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't necessarily worry about fish price tags. For how much we spend on our tanks and only keeping a few fish I go for the ones I like. Biggest thing is their feeding needs and them getting along with everyone, that's what I worry about but as Ali says, I love my purple

Talon33

I agree but still in college working on minimum wage gotta cut a few corners short haha but I though I would let everyone know what I did, today went to lfs saw the same PBT that has been there for 2 month, about 3 inches, asked them to feed it and it ate right out of there hand so I put a hold on it and plan on getting it tomorrow. Had my eye on that fish and seems to have adapted well to captivity and seems hardy for a PBT however it did have couple spots of ich, small clown trigger was harassing it so now the PBT is only fish in tank and clearing up. He will go into a 50 gallon QT for about week then yellow tang will be introduced and if they get along I will start hypo if not ones leaving and then it will go through hypo, sound like a decent plan?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hypo is a good option, just make sure you're ready for it. Make sure you have good food and supplement with fats and vitamins throughout the qt. The PBT is a great choice, good luck with him and keep him stress free!

Talon33

Well I am getting the 50 gallon tonight and I just got a fresh bucket of salt but one thing I need is a good refractometer so if I could get some good links to order one that would be awesome but starting the hypo next weekend to get it eating and ready for it and get some time to get the refractometer in

Mike Johnson

We had a reef club picnic today and a friend is putting 9 PBT's in a tank. Won't that be neat! They are a schooling fish and they don't like to be alone. Mine socializes with the other fish in my tank and sometimes falls in formation with the school of Blue-Green Chromis.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Marine depot has a good one too. Absolutely nesscessary if you're doing hypo