Purple long hair algae!!!!!

pgrtgunner

I've been away for a few weeks. I finally found my daughter after 22 years apart. Last time I saw her she was on Meth
and not a woman I thought she would turn out to be. Anyway, she's been clean 10 years and has 4 beautiful kids, two are twins.

Okay, enough info. When I first set up my tank I was deluged with green algae. Found out through you folks why and how to eradicate most of it.
Then after I got the green under control, along came purple that settled in with the green. I was told by a terrific source that the purple is a good thing.
I found a water store about two miles from me called Water to Go.

My tank was doing very well, until about two weeks ago Brown/Purple algae. It looks a dark purple under my lights and out side the tank it looks kinda like
brown/purple shade. Any way, it has over ran my tank everywhere!!!!!!

I clean the glass in the morning, and by afternoon it's baaack. Any ideas like maybe the Water to Go water???? :mad:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
A picture would help...
Good purple usually talked about is purple coralline and doesn't resemble hair algae at all.
I'm kinda wondering if maybe you are dealing with GHA & Cyanobacteria in combination :dunno:

Test & post your water parameters along with a picture. I'm sure you will get :help: dealing with whatever you have going on. Phosphate & nitrate tests needed & it would be good to test the "water to go" water also.

Oxylebius

Algae feed off of phosphates, nitrates, and light. If you haven't messed with your light spectrum, then I point to the water. What are your test results?

pgrtgunner

I've tried to down load pics with Photobucket and the other ones for this site. I'm not a Geek, so I don't know
how this stuff works. I have plenty of pics. Also, I can't down load pics of my tank, because I can't crop them that small
to post.

Thanx DianaKay

pgrtgunner

I did change my lighting a couple of weeks ago with actinic lighting. I do think that was the culprit.
It cost me $200.00 to grow the hair algae. Such a deal huh???

Thanx Oxylebius

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
related to pics... if you have them uploaded to Photobucket - you have done the hard part - to get them to show up here do this...

in photobucket, right click on the pic & select Copy Image URL

then add this url with this start/end image syntax around it

like this

and it will show up... once you done it once, it's very easy...

if you put the url in a post here & it does not work... leave it "broken" and I will help :) and let you know what went wrong, along with fixing it

hope this helps

Oxylebius

I personally have found that the light spectrum given off your bulbs can play a significant role with the type and amount of algae growth you get (w or w/o nutrients to fuel that growth).

StirCrayzy

I know a franchise owner of the Water to Go corp., and have used their water for many years before buying my RODI unit.
The water from our store here is listed at 0 TDS, and any owners should be more than happy to share their test results from independent test lab .
I do know that they highly ozonate and do not use DI resin in the standard store filtration setups.

I had a cyano bloom in my tank and under my blues it looks purple or a really deep red/purple. I would guess that what it is if its returning that fast.

mudguppy

Hi people I was just wondering the standard setup of red sea max 130d is ok but if you add aftermarket parts like turboflotor blue 500 skimmer a reef octopus multi media reactor MF 300B and intake media basket would this run the tank at a better level.Any help would be great

pgrtgunner

Well, I am happy to announce that my hair algae is almost 100% gone.

Every time I did a water change (weekly) I used a length of air line tubing and syphoned the algae off of the rocks,
sand, and yes some corals. So, it has taken 3 months of doing this, plus I bought a Conch snail, now it's not finding too
much algae to munch on. There is totally about the size of a 50cent piece in the entire tank, and that will be gone in a day or so.