problems connecting reefer plumbing

spiraling

Hi,
We are setting up a reefer 525. I have a threaded fitting to the red sea fitting. I don't want to use the barb fitting. I got this one from pvcfittingsonline that many people have used
3/4" Schedule 80 PVC (MPT x S) Male 836-007

The fitting keeps leaking. Wrapped with tape, leaks. Tightened more, the fitting split. Red Sea sent a new one and we have tried about 6 times with different tape thickness and tightness but it always leaks. Afraid to tighten too much again in case the fitting splits

@RedSeaKev how do we connect this fitting?

DaveK

Check exactly where the fitting is leaking from.

If it's from the base of the seal, the bulkhead is not installed correctly. You will need to take it all apart and reinstall it. sometimes a think layer of silicon sealer on the washer will help. In all cases do not over tighten this, hand tight plus 1/4 turn should do it.

If the leak is from the threaded fitting, You'll need to take that apart and redo it. Be sure to clean off all the old tape, sealer and anything else you used. When Putting it back together, I prefer to use the wide Teflon tape. It's about 3/4" wide verses about 1/2" for the usual stuff. I use about 4 turns of tape on the threads. Again don't over tighten the connection.

If you really get stuck and just can't get the threaded fitting to seal to to bulkhead, you can use silicone sealer here also. Lightly coat both sets of threads, screw the pieces together and give the silicon a couple of days to dry. This method almost always works.

It sometimes helps to use unions in addition to the other fittings. They will allow you to take things apart for cleaning and other maintenance.

spiraling

Thanks Dave,
the threaded fitting has some extra plastic flash on the threads that I think caused the issue. I cut those off, used thread sealant, and everything is good!