Problem with Colt Coral!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
My Colt coral has taken a turn for the worse over night! It looks like it is decaying right before my eyes. There have been no sudden changes in the water chemistry, temperature or salinity. It was close to a Duncan coral that may have stung it.

Should I remove this coral?

DSC_0005-16.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would remove it, yes. It is not worth keeping it risk an ammonia spike.
To remove it, siphon it as you peel it off the rock. If it is rotting, it may begin to fall apart as you try to get it off.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Woody, it's out! You are right, I just couldn't chance it. There was a baby that was attached to an adjacent rock, so hopefully it will grow up in its momma's place.

Jeff, I'm not really sure. There was a Duncan coral close by, it might have even been touching it when fully expanded. I don't know how much sting a Duncan has, but could be the cause. I have had this coral for over a year!:cry:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I was able to save a baby, the rest of it was deteriorating by the minute. It wasn't really mushy, it was snow white inside and looked like a sea scallop. It didn't smell either. The outer skin was peeling away and pieces were breaking off and floating around the tank. Maybe it was self fragging?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
ewww! sukiyaki reef! when in doubt,,, chuck it out, oh dear! that opened up some real estate didnt it lol

BarbMazz

Oh! Sorry for your loss, Scott. I wish I had more to say about what could have happened. Hopefully the baby will take off and grow.

Varga

sorry about your colt coral scott. if it makes you feel any better ITS A COLT CORAL :D :D :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
ewww! sukiyaki reef! when in doubt,,, chuck it out, oh dear! that opened up some real estate didnt it lol

It sure did. I'm going to Mr. Coral tomorrow with Terry to spend my sorrow away!:lol

Thanks Barb, another episode of "As The Reef Turns"!

Varga, thanks!

Varga

Just kidding man. I would gladly send you my colt coral for free +shipping cost. they sure as heck are not going into my new tank. a Friend gave me like 3 trees, now I have maybe 15+.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Varga. That's funny, because mine has never fragged itself, it has always stayed in that one spot. It's really a blessing though because the thing was getting so big it was shading every thing under it. Like Steve said, it opened up a lot of real estate.

Varga

maybe mine are Kenya trees then???? they drop branches and each branch becomes a full grown tree in no time!!
they do look just like youre though