Priming an external pump????

As many of you have seen on other threads, I recently picked up a sequence external pump. Well, after several setbacks, I think that it is now time to hook it up. The next problem it that I have a glass 40g sump, and to plumb the pump up I have to go up and over the side of the sump. I know that you have to prime a pump with that type of plumbing. I am new to the world of external pumps. My plan is to place a ball valve on the suction side of the plumbing to aid in the priming process. As I tried to illustrate in a 1st grade fashion. Is this how you prime a pump? Would it help? Or do I just need to give up and order an acrylic sump with a bulk head??
Thanks

ste

all i did to prime mine was to suck on the pump outlet pipe to drag the water down then switched on the pump and it just went :)

That easy???????:confused: Like i said this is my first time using any thing other than a Mag

thanks Ste

Man, i did all that lovely art work for nothing, oh well:D :D

Hooked

Ste is right. Another option is to have a screw off cap at the "t" you show, it's marked "ball valve" I think. It's better if your pump can be lower than the sump, but as long as its below the water level you should be okay. When you shut it off the water level in both side of the line will be the same, so the pump shouldn't drain and need to be re-primed.

Did that make any sense? :columbo:

Last edited:
Yes that makes sense. i also heard about the screw off cap, i just thought id use a ball valve to make things easier for me. finaly the pump will be lower than the sump.
Thanks