Pre-Spawning Clownfish Behavior

brikeibur

Caught a vid of my clownfish cleaning a clam shell. I read they do this before spawning. They clean an area to prepare it for where the eggs will be laid. We are very excited to see this as our smallest clownfish we sort of got accidentally.

We purchased a 90g not too long ago because we were upgrading our 24g to a 76g oceanic half circle. A guy was selling his fully running 90g with everything in it (which included 90 lbs of live rock and sand, a royal gramma and a clown for $300). We bought the tank just for the liverock and sand. We were going to trade the fish in, but just didn't have the heart. We ended up keeping them, but were so worried our clown wouldn't get along with the new one and one of them would end up getting hurt. As it turns out, guess they ended up REALLY liking one another, as they have paired up, moved into our largest frogspawn, and are now looking for spawning areas!!

Here goes:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyRHPUkAYI[/YOUTUBE]

Hope you enjoyed....thanks all!!

Jeremy0322

yea, it would not surprise me if they are about to get their egg laying on. Is the clam shell easily removable? If so you are set and can try to raise them, most people who attempt to raise the babies do so in a separate tank.

brikeibur

They are probably around 3 inches long I would guess.....

The clam they are cleaning in the pic is really 3 clams connected together, and it is used as part of the base of my rockwork....LOL, so it's not going anywhere. I think they have decided to move to the clam shell that is directly under the frogspawn though, and that one I would be able to remove if they laid eggs in it.

We have done a little research on raising clowns though, and I must say there is a lot involved in raising them bad boys. Rotifer cultures, brine shrimpery kits, and seperate holding areas for the clown fry...WORK!