HELP! Powerhead for Reefer 350?

Nroddot

Hi all,

I'm planning out a build with a Reefer 350 that I'm looking to pull the trigger on very shortly after the holiday season. I pretty much have all my equipment choices solidified by now, but I just can't decide on powerheads for this aquarium.

For those unfamiliar with the dimensions of the 350, the tank is 47 inches in length and 20 inches in width, and has a 73 gallon display. It's going to be a soft coral aquarium.

The initial plan was to have two MP40s mounted on the back wall of the aquarium. But then I'm wondering if two MP40s would be overkill for a 73 gallon display? I know you can adjust the flow on them, but that's a lot of money to spend just to power them way down.

I've looked at a lot of different gyres and powerheads from a lot of different brands. The two I liked the most have been the MP40 and AI Nero 5. I like how the MP40 keeps wires out of the water, but it's also quite expensive. The Nero 5 looks like it has a smaller profile and the app for it looks fantastic. I keep going back and forth between the two -- I just can't decide.

If anyone has experience using both of these powerheads, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited: