Potential stings and poisons in our reef tanks!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Palytoxin is not fun!

Nope - in this case repeated exposures can cause sensitization. This is true with many chemical substances. It's not the same as getting a flu shot, where the body builds up antibodies. There are no antibodies for poisons/toxins. In the chemical industry I worked in there were some chemicals that were found to be sensitizers - ones that with repeated exposure could end up causing severe reactions or worse - once that was known those products were removed from the product line.

Here's a nice series of videos that was put out by IceCap and Steven Pro on the dangers in our tanks. Interesting and informative.

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 1 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 2 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 3 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 4 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 5 of 6

YouTube - So you touched it now what? Part 6 of 6

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
(Copied above post to its own thread) Thanks Terry!
Great info to make a sticky!

andan

interesting video, I learned a lot...thanks for shared...
w.png

pgrtgunner

I have this itching that drives me crazy. It's mostly on my right side of my torso and buttock. Months ago it started with just my hands itching. Scratched it and 2 seconds later it itched another place on the same hand. I thought it may be the salt water. The hand itching went away, but it moved to my arms, legs, and head.

Well, I had just attributed it to just a week before I changed my laundry detergent. I went back to my old detergent and I still have the mind blowing ITCHING!!!!! Could it be getting stung by the tentacles that feed them?? I bought a pair of those long blue rubber gloves at Harbor Freight yesterday. I hope that will cure the itchies. Could it be the corals???

DaveK

I have this itching that drives me crazy. ...

I'd recommend you see your doctor about this problem. While it could be caused by stuff in your tank, it could also be caused by a lot of other possible factors. You don't want to go on thinking it's something minor, with in reality you have some major medical condition.