Postitioning Of Plate Corals

Roy Page

We are very new at this hobby and know very little about corals.
Just recently bought a bright green plate coral and had it in the QT for a week and then put it in the DT.

Just placed it temporarily on a flattish rock while trying to decide where to put it.
A couple of days later I was informed that it would be better on the sand.
Have not yet moved it and it appears to be very happy exactly where it is and the edges of it have molded themselves to the rock.
Here is a photo

d78_2.jpg

I would appreciate knowing what position is normal for plate corals and why that position is important ?

Thanks

Roy

frisbee

Being that plate corals can move if they want to, placing them on the sand bed is just a lot safer IME. A nasty fall down the reef slope could very well be the end of this coral if it ever was to happen. (torn flesh/cracked skeleton) Nursing these things back to health can be very tricky sometimes. Check this out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/inverts

HTH.

Snid

I like using Liveaquaria.com as a starter for such information, and then asking around for further details if needed... Here is what they have to say about what you have...

QUICK STATS
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Low to Medium
Placement: Bottom
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Fungiidae

Overview
The Green Short Tentacle Plate Coral is a relatively hard to find coral that originates from the Indo Pacific. These corals are found free living within the rubble zones of the reef, and have the ability to inflate themselves to both maximize light exposure, and to keep from being covered in sand.

It is a solitary, semi-aggressive coral with shorter tentacles than its cousin the Long Tentacle Plate Coral (Fungia sp.). Even with short tentacles, it can still damage other corals that it comes in contact with. With placement in the aquarium, keep in mind that it will often inflate itself with water and expand to twice its size. It will do best on the bottom of a reef aquarium, preferably lying on a fine sandy substrate. The Green Short Tentacle Plate Coral is easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and makes an excellent candidate for the beginner reef aquarist. Care should be taken in handling it however, to prevent damage. It requires moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

It obtains most of its nutrition from photosynthesis, but benefits from the regular feedings of zooplankton and brine or mysis shrimp.

Approximate Purchase Size: Tiny 3/4" to 1 1/2" Small 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" Medium 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" Large 3 1/2 to 4 1/2"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great information above.

:thumber:

I've always kept mine on the sand bed with great results. It always surprised me just how "mobile" they really are. I had a Golden Head Sleeper Goby that was notorious for "sifting sand" onto the plate coral. This kept it "upset" so the plate kept moving until I had to trade it to another tank.

Steve L

I have two, a green and an orange on my sand bed for over a year and neither has moved and are doing great. Just make sure they're in a spot where they get good light, and they just love being spot fed mysis and even small pellets on occasion.

Choff

Like everyone said above, put it on the sand. I love plates. I currently have 4. One I got as a tiny baby that was the size of a zoa and is still attached to the rock. It has grown to about silver dollar size and I hope it detaches soon. I find the long tentacles to be much more mobile than the short tentacles. They are also a lot more delicate.

Roy Page

Thanks to all for the quick advice.
I will be moving this really nice coral down onto the sand, making sure it is not near others and gets plenty of light and flow.

Roy

JJB103

Mine has almost doubled in size and seems to love the rock. When I had it in the sand it never inflated as much as it does now. Here's a pic.
bynurema.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
....and they just love being spot fed mysis and even small pellets on occasion.

Yes they do. When I saw feeder tentacles out I tried to add something for the plate coral specifically. Sometimes a pellet sometimes another meaty food. I always dropped the food on the outer edge just so I could watch the coral "transport" the food up and into it's mouth in the center.

Here are some random shots of my plate coral:

Neon Yellow & Pink Plate Coral

Yummy.... food pellet coming to my mouth

Feed Meeeeeeee

Do I look swollen to you?????

This piece of food taste kind of "funny"..... LOL
("hint hint it's not a piece of food but a "by-product of feeding the fish"

Choff

Beauty of a plate Al!

Is that domed? I picked up an orange one that the bottom of the plate is not flat. The lfs I bought it from said they grow like that in certain areas.

I like oddballs. I have an elongated too.

JJ, if it's happy and growing..I wouldn't move it just because it's supposed to be on sand.

...stupid auto correct

Roy Page

Beauty of a plate Al!

Is that domed? I picked up an orange one that the bottom of the plate is not flat. The lfs I bought it from said they grow like that in certain areas.

JJ, if it's happy and growing..I wouldn't move it just because it's supposed to be on sand.

...stupid auto correct

Well overnight I thought about moving it and this morning there it was all swelled up and looking so happy.
I fed it with some frozen Mysis Shrimp and it tentacles swept it into its mouth.
It will stay on the rock for the time being and see how it gets on there for a while.

All is good for the moment
Roy

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Beauty of a plate Al!

Yes it was domed on the front (I call it the front but not sure that's accurate LOL) of the plate. I've seen many that grew on a rock or up on the rocks have irregular shapes so it's not unusual at all. Most people only see them as flat plates but they grow to their environment for sure.