Popeye Disease

Arreola

Hi all.
A few minutes ago I noticed that one of my Clownfish has a popeye.

Is there anything I can dose directly to the RSM??
I do not have a quarantine tank or a hospital tank due to lack of space.

I clean the sponges, the carbon bag and the phsphates bag this morning.

Thanks for the help

Arreola

bryceK

I do not know of anything out there to treat with in the display tank. My suggestion to you is to get a 10 gallon aquarium as a quarantine tank. I know you don't have much room but they don't take up much room either. As for medication to use I do not know. I will let some one else answer on that.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - I found one thread here on RS about popeye in a clarkiis clown:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/8425-clarkiis-eye.html

It may be caused by bacteria or the eye was just irritated by something. Hopefully it will clear up on it's own if you have no QT tank.

Here's another article someone on RS posted a link to:

Popeye in SW Fish

Didn't your 6-line have popeye and it cured itself? Hopefully the same will happen with the clown.

bryceK - good to see you!

Arreola

bryceK - The idea is to get a Hospital Tank in a near future, but for now, I do not have one at this time :cursin:
Thank you

Reefmack - Thanks for the links.
About the Sixline, Yes, I did had some issues with it, but seams that it was stress related , I did go away in a few days.

I also notticed some marks on the tissue of the Ocellaris Clown. Did not had time to take a pitcure of it. by the time I got the camera the lights went off :smck:

There are 2 possible casuses, one is the bacteria release in the tank while taking the sponges and media bags out for cleening.
The other is a trauma most likely caused by the other clown fish, sometimes it gets pretty agressive specialy when feeding.

I will see how it looks in the morning and go from there, don't want to "treat" the fish without knowing what is causing this condition.

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - hopefully it will clear up on its own - let us know how it goes. As you said, it may be an injury or stress, and hopefully not an infection.

sprintermike

I hate to give this advice because I don't believe in herbal remedies, but try switching feedings to something "medicated" and add a cleaner shrimp to the tank.
I had a flame angel get popeye and give ich to the whole tank in one day. I would quarantine fish after fish and never got things under control. eventually i gave up, switched foods (A+ spectra or something like that) and added a cleaner shrimp.
It all cleared up rather quickly, though the flame angels eye never went completely back to normal.

steveh

Under some circumstances pop eye can be caused by gas bubbles. In this instance increasing the temperature can have a positive effect by reducing the oxygen level in the water and thus reducing gas pressure.

Arreola

steveh - I had some problems last weekend with some fishes, I don't know what really happen, but it could be something related with the microbubles as you mentioned.

Since last morning, all of the inhabitants are doing much better.
Thank you
Arreola

LPSLuver

I've had success in the past treating fish with Popeye, in the display tank, with Epsom Salt. I do not recall the dose regimen but you can look it up on Wetwebmedia.com. ES is the same thing used to dose magnesium. It worked on several occasions for me. Good luck!:fingerx: