Pop eye help!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It looks as though my unicorn tang has developed pop-eye. Does anyone know how to treat it?

Newjack

I know there are meds to treat and PaulB has a method were he does it manually. takes a syringe and suck out the gas or substance from behind the eye. Get more info on procedure and cautions on this first.

Steve L

I've had two fish come home from the LFS that developed popeye, and in both cases it healed on its own and never spread to other fish.

Oxylebius

Same experience here - I've had "pop-eye" on fish over the years and they always heal on their own in a few days. For the most part it can be caused by a scratch from netting/rocks/sand/etc., the scratch gets a little infected, the fishes immune system kicks in and it goes away on its own. Give it a few days if it doesn't clear up then QT it and look into treatment options.

Paul B

I have seen it dozens of times on my fish or fish in wholesalers tanks, it will normally go away on it's own but I usually like to cure it in 5 seconds by sucking out the fluid or air that is behind the eye. I have done this numerous times and never lost or blinded a patient, although sometimes their insurance does not cover the procedure. I am absolutely sure you will not do what I do so just wait it out and it should be fine. Good luck.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
A lot of times popeye is mistaken for a regular eye injury. My anthias had it and I decided to leave it alone but went out of my way to make sure he was eating nutritious food. Took about 4 weeks but it went away, no meds

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks all!

It looks worse today but it seems as if it is stopping or slowing.

I'll keep stuffing him with Mark's famous seafood medley fortified with all kinds of healthy stinky stuff.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I assume your mix has fats and vitamins in it so that is good...... It could just be an infection too.

Good luck!