Polyp questions- basic stuff

bunjinbantam

I have a nice plain-ish colony. Seems as though a Xenia has one piece in the middle that appears to be burned or attacked (left of center-middle of pic)? Should I just cut it out or let the laws of nature take care of it. It also seems the Poylp has moved in on my candy coral a bit (top of pic) could a head of the Candy be dying or just redirecting?They both are clearly established (pic doesn't show the rest of the Candy) and don't want to frag and relocated the candy? suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 53

bunjinbantam

and before anyone goes on about tank...I just cleaned my power heads, thats why there's crap in the water and on the polyp.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd get the Xenia out unless that's what you want growing in your tank. It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I like a tank with a lot of Xenia in it especially if you're going to frag and sell it but otherwise it really can be a nasty weed and will out-grow many more desirable coral.

I'm with Al.
The xenia will either outgrow the polyps or the polyps would outgrow the xenia. If you like the xenia frag it and put it in a better place.

bunjinbantam

I'm with Al.
The xenia will either outgrow the polyps or the polyps would outgrow the xenia. If you like the xenia frag it and put it in a better place.

It was just wayward Xenia piece that blew into In the center of the polyps. Real question was if a polyp would kill the Xenia arm or candy coral. No bigs.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looks to me like anthelia. N no. Outright they won't kill or sting other corals. However they will eventually overgrow everything. Like a wet blanket covering ur tank. Then let the death begin. I think the pic looks good by the way.

.............I'm feeling salty.

catran

Yep, I agree with Matt. It starts with a couple, and the next thing you know, your tanks filled with Xenia. I had some grow towards a Monti and kill part of it. It didn't sting it, but shaded it so that portion died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif