Plumbing

Susanedw

Posting this as a separate topic than just my build thread for more feedback as not everyone checks out build threads.
Getting ready to order plumbing. Might see how much we have on hand to do test runs before order. Hubby will be my plumber for sure! But I'd like to look like I know what I'm doing....

Notes on diagram:
Sump will go closer to left side (don't want to redo all bits)
Drain and return lines in overflow need to be reversed (don't want to redo)

1-- Should I split 1 drain to the sock & to refugium or leave it all to drain to the skimmer section
If yes, use a gate valve to control flow to fuge? See purple T into fuge
2-- Enough unions? Do I need them all?

Am I forgetting anything? Plan to use true union balls. Do I need to set up a manifold with 3 or just maybe 2 and add more later if needed?

Manifold is in the middle of the split return to tank. Does it need to be separate--a separate T from return pump

Right now, only planning on using 1 ball valve to do water changes.
125 tank 3.jpg

DaveK

You want all the water to pass through the skimmer section before it gets to the refugium. A refugium should be supplied with clean water, otherwise it becomes a dirt trap.

On unions. Put them only where you need them. In other words where you will need to take things apart for cleaning or other maintenance. However when you purchase unions order a few extras in all the pipe sizes your using. Then if you need one later, it's easy enough to cut the pipe and install a union there.

I highly recommend true union ball valves for most applications. Shop around for these as prices can vary greatly. It also pays to have a few extras of these around too.

Other thoughts -

My personal preference for plumbing is rigid PVC pipe, then Flexible PVC pipe (Spaflex), and last vinyl tubing with hose barbs. This is because the flow is usually better. Flexible PVC pipe works well for when you need to get around something or you need to gracefully curve into something. Sometimes using rigid pipe would require a ton of fittings to do the same thing. Vinyl tubing with hos barbs is easy to install, but the tubing can kink, and the hose barbs tend to restrict flow. Since it's usually clear it can also grow algae inside it.

I prefer to use PVC primer first and then PVC cement. A lot of people skip the primer but I find I get better results using it. Your work will look much better if you use the clear PVC primer and not the purple stuff. The purple primer gets over everything.

Susanedw

Thanks, @DaveK Planned on the true union ball valves and rigid PVC. Doing colored so don't think the flex comes in those colors which is too bad. Only vinyl for the return, a short piece to avoid vibrations. And yes, on the clear primer. Hate the purple stuff. I'm hoping for an "awesome" looking plumbing job to go with the awesome looking sump <g>

josephung

Well, that is actually looking really nice! Did you actually finish this project? It all sounds great, but just like DaveK said above, I would also prefer a rigid PVC pipe than a Flexible PVC pipe. Besides the fact that the flow is better, in case it gets broken, it is way easier to repair, trust me, I have had enough experience with both kind of pipes. However, I am not a proffesional plumber, and I might be mistaken regarding some of these things. That is exactly why, I do not do my own plumbing, and I am calling for the services of https://sosplomberie.be/debouchage-liege-sos-plomberie in case something gets broken.

Last edited: