Please ID

I will try to get a pic but its real fast and only seen it 2 times it lives in my rock work looks like a black centipede with a shrimp like tail its about 2 to 3 inches long with no claws any ideas

vdituri

It COULD be a mantis shrimp.
I've noticed mine has a centipede like quality sometimes.

Can't be for sure, but definitely a possibility.

are they bad??? I am having a really bad night my tang is dead and then I see this thing running around my rock work it hides up inside the rocks

thats it it looks just like a mantis are they bad? and how would he get in the tank never seen him before and havn't added anything new in months

vdituri

could it have killed my tank why it was sleeping?

Not sure of your exact question?
They are bad for crabs and snails and possibly fish depending on the species and what you want to put in your tank later.

Have you ever heard any popping or snapping noises from your tank?

it was a matis I got him I poured club soda on like 4 rock I thought he might be in and he shot out what do I need to do to the rocks before I put them back in the tank?

vdituri

Nothing. Club soda is just water with CO2 in it.
Keep the mantis. Your LFS will probably buy him.
Any pics of the little guy? They are quite interesting to watch.

vdituri

Probably not. I wouldn't think there would be enough of anykind of contaminants like phosphates etc to do any real damage.

ok I could not get it out of the rock so I ened up having to just boil the rock killed the mantis I think not sure never came out but I know he was in that rock cause when I poured club soda on it he came out and then went back in thanks guys just wish I would have not lost my tank to him ;(