Plated coralline algae..

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Does anyone else have this type of coralline algae growing like crazy??

I believe it to be mesophyllum sp. - (purple plate coralline algae)
purple_plate_coralline_algae_Esophyllum_sp_.jpg

Kensn

No... I believe it is only you... how strange.... :makefun:

I have heard of this type of growth due to mixing salts and changing clown fish though... :LOL:

:whstlr:

Stalwart

Nope, but it is a nice looking growth. Just think what your frags will be worth if no one else has it. :thumbup:

Cougra

I have some plated coraline growing like that in my tank as well. I know a lot of marine people who come to see my tank love it as well. Mine is an ugly pink colour though. I haven't taken any pictures of it recently though.

aquaman3680

I have one almost exactly like that but smaller. All it needs to grow is strong light and high calcium levels

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Woody

I just saw this, it is as if you took the pics out of my book Lithothamnion ruptile if Atlantic and Mastophora pacifica, if Indo .I will not say 100% it is these exacty species but reallllllly looks like them. No pics of the first on the net but here is a poor pic of the other To me it looks more like thie first in my books, really hard to tell.

mastpac.jpg

Yarr

Ive seen on in a LFS here. wa green and almost fluro blue.. looked unreal :) i wanted it SOOOO bad :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Boomer :thumbup: I would give you karma but I have to spread it around to others first.

There is no telling where this algae came from. I have added many corals attached to rocks over the last 10 yrs or so. The spores could have come from anywhere...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ohhhh no... Frankie and Lynn... I completely forgot to put chips of this algae with the chaetomorpha I sent to you this morning :(