planning for my first reef tank

haycook

Hello everyone, I am in the planning stage for my first reef tank and I would like some advice.

The tank size I want is a 40 breeder, I would also like a 20 long sump/refugium to move equipment out of the display and help with algae problems/providing a place for copepods to grow. Can anyone suggest the necessary equipment with prices for a set up this size. I will be building the stand my self, and I plan on drilling the tank myself to make it reef ready.

I would really like some advice because I am switching from freshwater and don't know much about reef tanks yet. I hope to change that soon with your help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

I have AIO RSM tanks, but sure some can advise...

JoeCanada11

It's hard to recommend what equipment you will need without having an idea of what type of corals your want to keep and your budget limitations. In any case you will need overflows, return plumbing and pumps and a lighting system of some kind. A good protein skimmer is also a great idea.

haycook

I would like to have mainly soft corals and a few fish. I don't think I want many sps corals, perhaps only a few if any. I found an LED light that looks promising but I don't see many reviews perhaps you have heard of it, I can't post a link yet but it is call "reef breeders Photon 24"

My budget right now is low, but I am planning to have this is about 4 months so I have room to save. I would like to keep the setup at $800 max if possible. From what I have calculated that seems impossible but I don't know if some of the equipment I have planned for it extraneous.

Here is a list of the equipment I was thinking of-
40 breeder tank-$40 at petco sale
20 gallon long for sump/refugium- $20 at petco sale
Koralia evo 750- $34.86
Koralia nano 425- $27.57
Marine land 100 In-sump protein skimmer- $145.77
Marineland NJ5500 maxi-jet submersible utility pump, 75 watt, 384 GPH- $131.99
cos of lumber for DIY stand~$50
20 pounds of live rock~$30
35 pounds of dry rock~ $70
60 pounds of pink aragonite sand-$75
Reef breeders Photon 24- $349

Total cost-$974.19 not including fish or corals

Please tell me If I can get something cheaper or less of something like sand/rock.

haycook

i like the kit but 34 gallons seems kind of odd. I really want a 40 breeder reef, its got the perfect dimensions IMO. I just can't find any reef ready versions that are cheap. I plan to drill it myself

not to try and persuade you but.. i happen to stumble across my RSM130 on craigslist cheap and i CANNOT be happier with it. dont let 34 gallons throw you off ^.^ its a nice round 130 liters!

I definitly think your estimate for equiptment is reasonable. but if you watch on here for a rsm thats for sale in your area (like on Glens deals thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/56206-deals-rsm-owners-might-like.html) last page one is for sale near VA $800 idk where you are but just something to think about ^.^

BUT i guess i do have a bias opinion on the subject lol

best of luck with whatever you do!

blackwater

welcome to RS. don't know if i missed it but what lights were u planning on using? also i have 2 of the evo 750's and one nano. the evo's i like, had them for about 2 years and used them in multiple tanks(if i had the money i'd get a mp10) i use the nano for mixing salt.

haycook

The lights I want are called reef breeders Photon 24, they are LED with a control built into the housing for different effects. I wish I could post a link but I need five posts first.

And I'll keep looking on craigslist, my only issue with that is that I have no idea how to tell if the equipment is still in good condition. I've never had it so I don't know what to look for

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Consider photosynthesis for your filtering. The more green that grows, the more filtering you get :)

When it comes to planning a saltwater tank I'd recommend the book I'm currently reading:
"Natural Reef Aquariums
Simplified approaches to creating living saltwater microcosms"
Some of the products are a little outdated but the info is still solid!

null_zps09552549.jpg

:) just something to think about when your at your lfs or library

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I also recommend The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. Both excellent reads (the first one is awesome for newbies). :D

jpsika08

I would like to have mainly soft corals and a few fish. I don't think I want many sps corals, perhaps only a few if any. I found an LED light that looks promising but I don't see many reviews perhaps you have heard of it, I can't post a link yet but it is call "reef breeders Photon 24"

My budget right now is low, but I am planning to have this is about 4 months so I have room to save. I would like to keep the setup at $800 max if possible. From what I have calculated that seems impossible but I don't know if some of the equipment I have planned for it extraneous.

Here is a list of the equipment I was thinking of-
40 breeder tank-$40 at petco sale
20 gallon long for sump/refugium- $20 at petco sale
Koralia evo 750- $34.86
Koralia nano 425- $27.57
Marine land 100 In-sump protein skimmer- $145.77
Marineland NJ5500 maxi-jet submersible utility pump, 75 watt, 384 GPH- $131.99
cos of lumber for DIY stand~$50
20 pounds of live rock~$30
35 pounds of dry rock~ $70
60 pounds of pink aragonite sand-$75
Reef breeders Photon 24- $349

Total cost-$974.19 not including fish or corals

Please tell me If I can get something cheaper or less of something like sand/rock.

Welcome and gratz, I was reading all of your wish list.

Koralias are a good choice.
For the price of that skimmer, look into Reef Octopus lineup, this part of the system is the heart of it so you want something that really works, (Target a skimmer that has the capacity of your tanks water volume x 2).
Again, don't use Marineland pumps, maybe a Mag pump will work better for the return and more reliable.
Maybe a 150Watt heater.
Thermometer, (Get a glass cheap one, digital ones can be unreliable)
Lighting, I would recommend some T5's, if you want to invest a little more, try getting a Led fixture.

For the rest is up to you.

Maybe some equipment is missing but you got the basics to start off.

Remember to cycle your tank before putting any livestock in it.