Pipefish..

sambrinar

I agree, they require very special care and expert experience.. good for you for checking first!!

Cassy

I figured as much :( I've been seeing a lot of them at the fish store I go to, I think they are just amazing little creatures and would love to keep them some day, thanks guys

molsen187

they aren't easy to keep but don't let that discourage you. if you really want one all you have to do is put in the right amount of research and go really slow and it could work.you can pull anything off if you put the time and effort into it

TheDuke

they aren't easy to keep but don't let that discourage you. if you really want one all you have to do is put in the right amount of research and go really slow and it could work.you can pull anything off if you put the time and effort into it

+1 to this I put in the right research and mine have been doing great. And I'm relatively inexperienced with saltwater (1 and 1/2 yrs. experience.)

mikejrice

They feed largely on pods, so if you have large enough numbers, you might be able to pull it off. As far as I've heard, the orange band pipes are some of the easier ones to keep. I've kept a couple in reef tanks but had very limited fish, so this might not be the best indication.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Pipefish and SeaHorses are in the same category. they req special diet, multiple feedings daily, Prestine water conditions, special tank setup including lots of hiding places, hold fasts, algae, no sharp edges, and very low flow. You wont be able to keep much else in a tank with Pipefish/seahorses. They are not for new aquariust. I have wanted to keep them too, but with my work schedule, i'd never be able to properly care for them. Whatever animals you decide to keep, be sure to do research first, which includes asking questions here.

DaveK

.. Prestine water conditions, ...

I agree with ddelozire's post, except for water conditions. While excellent water conditions are ideal, pipefish tend to live in the back bay areas, where the water quality isn't as high as a reef, and the water may vary a lot in salinity due to rain run off. You really have quite a bit of latitude with the water.