Photography 101 - Marine Tank Version

clairebear

Thanks Glenn! And your link tells me why I couldn't find that camera for sale here... It's sold here under another name! :D

jerry26

is it just me or does the shimmer from metal halides mess with the focus? i was playing with my girlfriends camera and its supposed to be somewhere between a dslr and a point and shoot according to a reviewer that claimed to be a decent photographer. i would like to disable the auto focus but that doesnt appear to be an option.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
is it just me or does the shimmer from metal halides mess with the focus? i was playing with my girlfriends camera and its supposed to be somewhere between a dslr and a point and shoot according to a reviewer that claimed to be a decent photographer. i would like to disable the auto focus but that doesnt appear to be an option.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4

Yes the shimmer can confuse the camera as it causes "movement" which the autofocus system needs to track. There are 2 options to overcome this, either you use manual focus or switch your camera's focusing point to a single AF point instead of multiple AF points to avoid the "tracking" downside.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Sharing this thread on our FB page in an upcoming post!!! Awesome awesome awesome!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Absolutely awesome mate :) I was pondering these questions when I took photos the other day lol Looking forward to getting my lights back so I can try all this out and some other things :D Love it!

Wolffman64

Fantastic thread mate, now I know why all my photos look so bad :doh:
Have only been a member of this site for a couple of weeks, and I have learned more about reefing in that time than in my previous 1,5 year as a reef tank owner. And now about photography as well!

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
One additional tip : turn off the pumps when photoshooting to reduce water movement.

MarkRy

Love the post. I have a Spinney Tail Lizard in a Terrarium. My biggest problem is getting the glass clean enough to get good shoots. They keep coming out cloudy.

lbiminiblue

I tried this out. Thing is, the iPad just doesn't have the quality I need. I have a GoPro, but that's not good for point and shoot at all. That's why I'm considering getting a Hero3+. Narrower pictures and dynamic frame rates for different light.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Any recommendations for shooting under actinic lighting?

Same method as how you would under white light. The only setback might be the lowlight but you can boost your camera's ISO to compensate for that with a bit of loss in image quality at the higher ISO settings.

andan

thanks for the tutorial :thumber:
w.png

Snid

For those of you using point and shoots that have no ISO settings (which is most of them), many of those cameras have Exposure Compensation which can achieve similar results. By adding more exposure, you can speed up the camera's abilities, helping to reduce any motion blur.