Phosphates in home made mush

Scouter Steve

Has anyone else tested their home made mush you feed your fish? I have been making my own food last couple of months and noticed an increase in algea. Just measured phosphates in my mush and it is off the chart! My DT measure is zero. I thought using fresh and frozen seafood for my mix would be lower then prepared foods. Anyone know a way around this? Soak foods in RO/DI before grinding together? Soak it before feeding? I thought I was doing good by leaving all the real fine stuff in that will go through a fine net if I filter before I feed.

lcstorc

I rinse before I make the mush. Then again part of my mush is prepared fish food such as mysis etc. I've never really tested the mush though. It would be a good idea. Test it for nitrates as well. I would be interrested in the results.

Reefwerks

Has anyone else tested their home made mush you feed your fish? I have been making my own food last couple of months and noticed an increase in algea. Just measured phosphates in my mush and it is off the chart! My DT measure is zero. I thought using fresh and frozen seafood for my mix would be lower then prepared foods. Anyone know a way around this? Soak foods in RO/DI before grinding together? Soak it before feeding? I thought I was doing good by leaving all the real fine stuff in that will go through a fine net if I filter before I feed.

Any seafood you get from the store is going to have P. They spray it with a preservative. It starts right on the boat and multiple times during the processing.

Don

Scouter Steve

I just tested Formula two (frozen with jell). It is almost as black as my own mush! Guess I start soaking in RO/DI before I feed.

Scouter Steve

I rinse before I make the mush. Then again part of my mush is prepared fish food such as mysis etc. I've never really tested the mush though. It would be a good idea. Test it for nitrates as well. I would be interrested in the results.

I ran out of nitrate test else I would have! Trates have been zero by me so long I wasn't even gonna get a new test. That might change now!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I always soak all fresh seafood ingredients in ro/di prior to making my mush. Sometimes (especially with shrimp) I will soak, rinse, then soak again in fresh ro/di.

blue_eyes53813

I noticed that with my mush too. I had a huge algae break out a year or so ago and I know the algae was from uneaten/high phosphates in the mush. You really need to feed it sparingly and rinse very well.

Scouter Steve

I had increased my feeding because my Tennetti Tang seemed to thin. Should I just up the Nori I feed? Or is that high in phosphates too?

lcstorc

Phosban and rinsing with RO. I soak the nori in RO as well as the frozen food to get as much out as I can.