Pat24601

It's a fantastic hobby! She Who Casts No Shadow said to me the other day, "do you realize how much time you waste just looking at that tank?!"......I replied, "believe me, it is not time wasted".

Exactly!

I don’t really have time for any hobbies with a job and twin pre-schoolers, but I somehow find time for my tank. It’s an awesome hobby!

Pancho75

Two days into the blackout and the dinos are almost gone except for the left back corner were the flow is slower and I have light coming from a dome. I wrapped the corner in paper I hope it helps.

The LFS just let me know there are new tangs available... haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Two days into the blackout and the dinos are almost gone except for the left back corner were the flow is slower and I have light coming from a dome. I wrapped the corner in paper I hope it helps.

The LFS just let me know there are new tangs available... haha

Are you getting a Tang?

Pancho75

Yes! LFS has now a couple of small captive-bred blues, a salfin, a convict, a clown and a yellow one.

Since the begging I have always in mind to add a blue tang, a purple tang and brown powder tang. I have already a yellow one so I believe the next target should be a blue tang.

Pat24601

Yes! LFS has now a couple of small captive-bred blues, a salfin, a convict, a clown and a yellow one.

Since the begging I have always in mind to add a blue tang, a purple tang and brown powder tang. I have already a yellow one so I believe the next target should be a blue tang.

Wow. I didn’t even know they did captive bred blues.

Sounds like you’ve got a good plan to me. Those are all fantastic fish!

Pancho75

So the 3 days blackout ended... and the tank looks fantastic. The white sand is back and cannot see the dinos nuisance anywhere, I guess only time will tell.

So I went to the LFS to look for the diamond goby I asked but it did come in the shipment. But tiny blue tangs where there and I got one, then my wife asked for a great looking mandarin goby (she is spoiling me [emoji44]) and then I added two nassarius snail to help with the sand movement, I think one of them is Tonga as its very large.

The mandarin went into the tank and no issues but the tiny blue tang is under constant harassment from the angel pygmy and the clowns. So had to kill the lights and thinking to introduce a plastic recipient to see if the blue tang can get some relief in there.

Pat24601

Your wife sounds very cool. Keep that one. :)

Too bad about your blue Tang. It’s tough to tell what will happen when you introduce new fish. Sounds like you are handling it exactly right though.

Pancho75

My wife is great, she did not hesitate to support me when I wanted to upgrade from my 70L nano to the S-500.

The good news are the tank is free of dinoflagellates so far and both the blue tang and the mandarin goby are doing good. The tiny blue tang is still under pressure but it is improving. I hope everything will continue to be ok. Sorry for the iPhone pics.
70ef5809e678d1424200132716cec805.jpg
6e0603058e8473501ee63bea8881bb01.jpg
3d25833b0485e5f16ba7084b5040e088.jpg

SPR

See Pancho I told you it would work didn’t I!

Just make sure you have increased the flow to the areas affected as per my previous post (which from the photos I think you have)

I also told you the vents are missing into the rear circulation chamber x 3 now as you can see they are missing on the nice video above.

You should somewhere have 3 round vents that screw in from the back of the rear wall. Otherwise you are going to get critters and fish getting stuck in the rear chamber. I’ve actually got a spare set from Red Sea I use to have a replacement set when I clean them.

If you look on my build thread near the start (before I build the rocks up) you will see the vents at the back of the tank. The 650 has 4.

Pancho75

See Pancho I told you it would work didn’t I!

Just make sure you have increased the flow to the areas affected as per my previous post (which from the photos I think you have)

I also told you the vents are missing into the rear circulation chamber x 3 now as you can see they are missing on the nice video above.

You should somewhere have 3 round vents that screw in from the back of the rear wall. Otherwise you are going to get critters and fish getting stuck in the rear chamber. I’ve actually got a spare set from Red Sea I use to have a replacement set when I clean them.

If you look on my build thread near the start (before I build the rocks up) you will see the vents at the back of the tank. The 650 has 4.

You did say so Shaun! Thanks a lot man, the dinos are gone but I will keep and eye in case they come back. I owe you one!

I swear the vents are there! hahahaha, it is just I have not clean them so they have some calcifications and coralline algae. Next maintenance I will clean them in white vinegar along with the return pump nozzle.

Now the tank is a happier place without the dinos and the newcomers the green mandarin and the tiny blue tang are the most popular tank inhabitants at home. Specially the tiny tang is too cute (2.5 cm long) so is stealing all the love from wife and kids.

SPR

You did say so Shaun! Thanks a lot man, the dinos are gone but I will keep and eye in case they come back. I owe you one!

I swear the vents are there! hahahaha, it is just I have not clean them so they have some calcifications and coralline algae. Next maintenance I will clean them in white vinegar along with the return pump nozzle.

Now the tank is a happier place without the dinos and the newcomers the green mandarin and the tiny blue tang are the most popular tank inhabitants at home. Specially the tiny tang is too cute (2.5 cm long) so is stealing all the love from wife and kids.

Your welcome.

I’m still not convinced there there lol! I’m not talking about the top ones with the nozzles, but the holes half way down. Unless there different versions in Mexico (with holes in lol!)

Now then. @Nobbygas watch that video above and you tell me if those rear vents are missing I.e. the holes in the back wall ? You can see straight through them?

SPR

You guys don’t believe me...hahaha

Well, I will deliver the proofs!!! lol

This time I used the flash to clearly show the vents.

7279326a6dcc2ad02fe6d11d775f198e.jpg
f1b9235d5650b2124ff8c66ac5c2c1b4.jpg
06e4768da34105556f76c69d4df5800f.jpg

Your point being !! Lol

@Nobbygas either Pancho or ‘we’ have got them the wrong way around or it’s a different design! It actually looks like the whole unit, including the part installed by Red Sea, is installed the opposite way around (inverted) from the pictures.

Maybe it’s a variation for different markets for some reason!

Anyway it works so.......