Overflow ?

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I just change my overflow line from a flex hose to straight pvc my question is the overflow water line is about 2.5 inches different now and it is gurgling. Any ideas why, it was quiet before.
0e35e13b.jpg
old setup
eecfdcd9.jpg
new setup
699061cf.jpg
water mark difference

brandon

You hear the gurgle coming into the the overflow or when it goes into the sump? I dont know why the water level would drop or rise other than the hole in the overflow was moved to a new height.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
When it goes to the overflow pipe. I am going to buy a valve and see when i restrict flow if it stops.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ok i went to home depot and got a ball valve worked like a charm.
16dd1be3.jpg
f5d65610.jpg
water lever right back where it was.

DaveK

Yes, the ball valve will work, but it also creates a bottle neck. This makes it easy to clog and cause a flood. I recommend you install a T above the valve and additional pipe so the water can bypass the valve, if it gets clogged by something. This will help prevent floods.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Yes, the ball valve will work, but it also creates a bottle neck. This makes it easy to clog and cause a flood. I recommend you install a T above the valve and additional pipe so the water can bypass the valve, if it gets clogged by something. This will help prevent floods.
Thanks didnt even think of that