overflow

EdgeKrusher

I am thinking, just thoughts, since I can't do my 30 gal anymore :( . I'm thinking of making a 10 gallon sump for my 12 gallon nano just to get rid of all the ugly equipment and add some stability. If I got the CPR CS50 overflow box, it has a flow rate of 300gph, is there a way to get that slower? I know syphon overflows aren't everybody's favorite, but the only other choice I would have is to drill the tank.

wildcat

Your pump will control the flow rate. As water flows up from the sump into the tank, it forces water to rise thus overflowing and heading back down to the sump.

The flow rate is a max. statement. you should be fine

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Based on research I did online, I would stay away from the CPR c-channel style overflow. Most of the folks I talked to had lost siphon on it more than once and had overflows. Wildcat is correct on the flow rate issue, but I would recommend that you look for a U-tube based overflow box. I've got two in use that made by Aquaclear Aquatics and I've never had a siphon break or a failure to start draining after a power outage. One of the units has been in use for 8 months and the other for 3 months. HTH

mps9506

I agree, stay away from the CPR style boxes. Too risky IMO.
As far aas flow rate, you do not want to go too slow, because in traditional utube overflows, air bubbles will collect in the u tube and eventually break the siphon.
Your best bet is to get the tank drilled and use a through the tank durso or something similar. Usually a glass shop will do it for 20 or 30 bucks for one hole.
Mike

wooddood

the wood dude
i use a cpr cs102 overflow and love it so far. no problems at all. just make sure you use an aqua lifter air pump so if you loose power it automaticly start the siphon when the power is restored.

EdgeKrusher

Woodood, that's what i was going to do. I was going to get the CS50 package deal they have at www.amekaaquatics.com. It comes with the aqualifter pump, and an acrylic cover (though I'm still trying to figure out what it's purpose is, explaine this to me Wooddood. :D ).
Drilling the tank is not an option since it's full, and I really don't want to go through all the trouble to tear it down and get it drilled, then set it all up again. Plus it's acrylic so I'm sure it could be DIY but that's a risk that I'm not comfortable taking.

wooddood

the wood dude
heres a pic edge, it's basicly a small pump that has a input and an output that you connect 2 1/4 inch air line that are supplied with the pump, the input connects to a nipple on top of the overflow and starts the siphon the other tube the output i just ran back inside the overflow inside the tank. thats what cpr told me to do. so you leave the pump on 24/7 so if you have a power failure and the power is restored it automaticly restarts the siphon. i've tested it and it works. hope this helps
5aqualifter_pump-med.jpg
you.:D