over skimming

saltfan

Is it possible to over skim a new tank (2 mo old)? to were it would have a negative effect, like taking out to many nutrients. Or to have to big of a skimmer for a tank.

DaveK

If you went to extremes, maybe. For example if you put a skimmer rated for a 700 gal tank on a 30 gal tank. However this is extremely unlikely with anything you would normally run into. Your much more likely to under skim a tank.

Keep in mind too that skimmer manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when it comes to how they rate their skimmers. For example if you have a 50 gal tak, get a skimmer rated for about a 100 gal tank.

saltfan

The reason I asked is I fragged some GSP from my 2 yr. old mixed reef that are VERY florescent and extended , the piece I fragged and put in my other tank were just like it for a few days now they just barely open. I know there are probably many reasons for this like the old tank being under T5s and the new tank under LEDs. Ive heard that GSP are a good indicator of water quality. Other than being a new set up my water quality is spot on.

SG 1.025
PH 8.2
Alk 8.5 Dkh
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
trates 0
trites 0
ca 425
Mg 1400
Po4 at or near 0

Tank is 57 Gal and skimmer is a older reef Octopus NW-110-6520B I now have Cheato in the fuge and were the egg crate is now holds (2) 11.75 oz. Chemipure elite and a bag of phosguard covered by a filter pad.

DSCF4480_zpsa9fd924b.jpg

Last edited: