Our lone clam ... need help with it!

ReefLady

Staff member
Here's a pic of our one clam:

1shelly1-med.jpg

I think it's a Squamosa, but I'm not sure. I realize it doesn't look fantastic, but it looks better than it ever has. We bought it back in March, and a Maxima at the same time.

We went on vacation in July (2 weeks), and when we came back, the Maxima was totally dead (only shell left). This clam didn't look great, and really never opened up at all until very recently - coincidentally around the same time that we lost our Copperband Butterfly.

Now, we have just discovered this problem. Our Pocilliopora sp. sends out babies all over the tank. The stuff is worse than Green Star Polyps. ;-) Anyway, check this out:

1clam_poc.jpg

There is a silly Pocillopora growing on the clam! I'm sure it's going to irritate the clam, but what can I do that won't harm the clam? Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

brian_e

if u take the clam out when its shut u should be able to scrape it off the shell i had to do this with some aptisa all over one i bought

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Teri you said it has not really opened all the way? Check the clam very closely for very small snails as these can be death to a clam. Don't remember the name of the snails but Barry might be able to tell you!:)

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Pyramidellidae....the small white cone shaped snails. What is the best method to get rid of these snails if you have them? I thought I had read that they can also be predators of Astrea snails, too?

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Yep just get your razor out and scrape the pocci off the shell, it will irratate the clam. Kinda sounds like the butterfly was nipping or bugging them. If ther is a pred close by they will never open all the way, for fear of taking a hit.

Nikki thier are types of wrasses that go after them, but I cant remember the name..duh. they are pretty east to find, they will always go after the clams foot or base cartledge. Inspect them when you get them or if they act kinda wierd,

Mike

Maxx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think there would be a real issue w/ just leaving it on the shell. I cant remember, but I dont think that pocilliopora corals are all that potent w/ their defenses. Thats why they have adapted to being able to spread so easily and readily as they have. I'd leave it, unless you already see some negative reactions from te clam. The clam will shade certain areas w/ its mantle, and the coral will grow on others. Its not like clams arent found IN corals heads in nature....
JMO
Nick

birdman204

4 line wrasses also will eat them. The pocillapora shouldnt be a prob. I have seen aptasia covered clams opened fully. Yellow polyps have been growing around my crocea for 4 months now, and it just opens up over them.
P.S. your clam appears to maybe be a maxima. can you describe the shape of the byssal opening?

Hooked

A good LFS told me the yellow candy hogfish also eats those snails. Pretty little fish, kinda pricey I think.

HTH