OT: RC hobbiests, i need you.

BEELZEBOB

i want a mini RC monster or stadium truck.

first off, whats a good forum?

second, can i bug one of you with a plethora of questions?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bob I've had them in the past but it's been YEARS since then and I am SURE technology on the truck arena has changed.

Traxxis was a GREAT truck and to my understanding still is. It's not a "Beginner's" truck as it's very fast with lots of power... this means break parts= wallet runs dry quickly..

As for forums I have no idea. I didn't know there was ANY other forum besides Reef Sanctuary

:D

BigJay

dude I got 3 cars I am willing to dump for cheap if your interested in them. I have a 1/8 scale OFNA monster pirate truck, a 1/10 scale nitro RS4 with tons of upgrades like a hot OS engine (it was like $200 at the time don't remember which model but do still have the box) and a 1/12 RC12L electric. I haven't run them in a few years but have lots of extras. I think the oldest one is about 5 years old. I ran them for about 6 months then parked them all since I had no where to run.
I am sure all and all its around $3,000.00. But anything around $500 and you can have it. I can send you pics if you want.
I can try to answer any questions you have I was into RC from the time I was about 8. But it has been a while so I can't guarantee I will have all the answers.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Under $250? It's going to have a large "Winder" on the back so you an wind it up and let it go :D

BigJay

eletric is definetly doable for that price range. Lots of kits out there. Check towerhobbies.com . It won't be long before your feeling left unsatisfied with something like that. Especially when you make a friend with a nitro beast thats doing 80 MPH. My RS4 easily hits 80 when it shifts into second gear.
But that to depends on how much room you have. I bought the 1/8 scale monster truck for around the yard and it was awesome. It can climb anything (I mean anything!). But the RS4 I have to be in a parking lot. On a street its just tooooo fast. RC12L is for indoor racing. I even bought some 1/18 or 1/20th scale micros for around the house. Although I just realized i have no idea what happened to them. They were fun in the living room but mega boring outside.
Guess I could have summed it up to make sure what your getting into before you buy anything. Consider all your outlets and how far you plan to take it. One of the best things about RC is there are upgrades galore. And its a lot of fun. But it can get mega expensive in a hurry. Sorry I feel like I am running you in 10 directions at once. But the one thing I won't waiver on .. if I am outdoors.. I am running gas. Just check and make sure you have gas stadiums available as some only allow electric due to insurance reasons.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jay is right. Upgrades GALORE!!

I've done cars, trucks, 2x4, 4x4, boats, sailplanes, Electric,Nitro, GAS, airplanes, Jets, Rockets and now helicopters (now have FIVE of them). It's not a cheap hobby but it can be fun. I've just found that the ground/water vehicles get kind of boring quickly.

BigJay

Jets- turbine , ducted fan or what? That was a major dream of mine. I just sold my airplane. Was nothing special. But I've got to see a few turbine jets at demos and those things are sick! Heck even ducted fans can scoot. One day when I have too much money and way too much time. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ducted Fan only. I couldn't even MAKE myself lay down the $$$ for the motor let alone the support equipment. I've not done anything like the COOL stuff.. just a couple of DF trainers. That's how we found out our "Flying Field" eats DF units. I've had the pleasure of flying some sweet birds and even greater pleasure of teaching some amazing pilots to fly. That was one of my greatest pleasures was teaching others one of my passions. My father got me started with Control-Line at 9 years old and he "left the family" shortly there after. I moved up to R/C on my own and taught myself to fly the HARD way. Crash.... rebuild/replace and try to NOT make the same mistake twice (or more). I eventually got the hang of flying and just stayed with it. Then (late last year) a so-called friend of mine got me into Heli's. WOW! I have 1 I fly here in the house from the couch and 4 outside helis. Even got a new one (Blade mCX) on my birthday week before last (thanks to my AMAZING wife Julie).

I LOVE R/C :)

BigJay

I tried helios via realflight simulator and one time I tried a gas unit just lifting off about 3 feet and touching down. No thanks. I mean people say its hard and I've watched experts struggle. They are awesome to watch but no way I could put that kind of money into just to clip the ground with the rotor and watch the whole thing fly to pieces.
My ex brother n law had just bought a diesel plane before I got my divorce. If I ever was going to get into planes again that would be what I want. I could barely hold it with my huge body mass when warming up the engine.
Sorry for my standard method of hijacking threads Bob.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Helis are a "hand full" but being able to walk out on my deck, lift off and fly around makes it so worth while. Google the Blade mCX. It's a tough like bird and SO easy to fly too :) Julie isn't THRILLED that she bought it because I keep "buzzing her" while she's sitting on the couch watching TV. Look it up on youtube when you get time :)

I was 1/3 owner of an R/C plane motor company. We were making Large Scale R/C GAS motors. It was amazing to see these huge birds climbing vertically like a home-sick angel. Unfortunately we lost our machine shop and that was the end of the "Co.". It was called RS Engines :)

Cavinca

I loce RC cars... All at once Ive had 5 stadium trucks, 3 monster trucks, and a 1:10 scale racecar. 3 of the stadium trucks were first place prizes in my races.

2x HPI Nitro MT 4x4
1x HPI Nitro MT racing edition 4x4
1x HPI Nitro Rush RWD
1x Team Associated RC10GT Nitro
1x HPI Savage 21 nitro
2x Traxxas Electric Stampede
1x HPI RS4 nitro onroad

The first four are all Stadium Trucks. They are older chasis so you should find them for cheaper now. Im an HPI guy if you couldnt tell. The rc10gt's are nice as well.

BEST RC MAGAZINE EVER!!! RC Car Action
They have an awesome forum.
RC Car Action

HPI Racing

Got any questions? Ask Away.