HELP! Ocellaris Clowns won't eat...

Nroddot

Hi,

I'm a beginner hobbyist. My tank just finished its cycle about a week ago so I decided to add a couple of captive-bred ocellaris clowns from LiveAquaria.

The clowns have been in my tank for three days now and just aren't eating. I've tried frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, New Life spectrum pellets, and Neptune crossover pellets.

Admittedly, the more active of the two clowns actually did eat a few tiny scraps of brine shrimp but it hasn't ate anything else -- it just inhales food and spits it right back out.

My other clown, hasn't ate anything at all -- not even the brine shrimp. It expresses interest in food and swims towards it, but it won't even try it -- this is the clown I'm obviously worried more for.

I've spoken to LiveAquaria and they gave me the generic "try an assortment of meaty foods" spiel. I'm worried. because everything I've read indicates that clowns are voracious eaters. Since these are tank raised fish, shouldn't they already be accustomed to pellets and frozen foods?

They swim fine, they have no visible signs of disease or parasite -- they just won't eat. I know these "X fish won't eat" topics are pretty common, but hopefully someone can give me some ideas. I'm starting to stress a bit over this. I've already grown fond of the little guys -- I'd hate to lose them.

DaveK

It's not at all unusual for a fish to go on a hunger strike after it's moved. Don't panic. If you can find it at your LFS, live brine shrimp or live black worms are often a good choice to get then to start to eat. Clownfish are kind of funny mine loves Hikari Marine S pellets. You might try those.

As a note, if feeding live black worms, feed only a few worms at a time. They can not live very long in SW.

Check your water parameters carefully, especially ammonia and nitrite. You may not yet have the tank completely cycled. Also, look for signs of disease, as this can cause them to not eat.

Nroddot

It's not at all unusual for a fish to go on a hunger strike after it's moved. Don't panic. If you can find it at your LFS, live brine shrimp or live black worms are often a good choice to get then to start to eat. Clownfish are kind of funny mine loves Hikari Marine S pellets. You might try those.

As a note, if feeding live black worms, feed only a few worms at a time. They can not live very long in SW.

Check your water parameters carefully, especially ammonia and nitrite. You may not yet have the tank completely cycled. Also, look for signs of disease, as this can cause them to not eat.

Hi, unfortunately you might be right about it not being fully cycled. I tested last night. While it's a low amount, there is ammonia present.

The day prior to adding the clowns, nitrites and ammonia were reading zero and nitrates were around 2 ppm. I thought I was fully cycled after 34 days, but I guess not. Disappointed in myself, I feel like I screwed up.

But anyways, I don't have LFS so I have to order all my stuff online (thankful for one day Amazon prime shipping...) I'm getting some marine pure spheres (don't have room in my sump for a block) and a bottle of Instant Ocean bio spira to boost the biological filter. In the meantime, I've used some Fritz All-in-One- Conditioner to detoxify the present ammonia. Is this the right course of action in this situation?

But on a better note, today is the FIRST day that both clowns actually ate. It wasn't much at all, just a few tiny bits of frozen mysis shrimp. But I was glad to see them at least eat something.

Last edited:

DaveK

Glad to see the clowns are starting to eat. Looks like your over that problem.

As for a tank cycling, this takes time. The additives can help, but it takes something for bacteria to break down to really be sure. At this point you have the fish in, so just keep testing and keep an eye on things. Don't add anything else until the tank is well cycled.