Now my puffer is sick/blind? HELP. (pix)

kyle4201

Ok, maybe Im just being paranoid cuz Ive seen all the stuff lately about blind puffers. I woldnt have worried but yesterday my puffer (Spike Lee) did not come up to the tank and do his happy swim when I got home nor did he eat.

Im wondering 2 things,, 1, there is little things hanging off him, I thought they were just part of a spiny puffer but the pix of others I looked at last night,, none of them had them. Now Im wondering if its flukes or something. They are the same on both sides of him for the most part,, but just wondering.
2014-02-17000738_zpsea1d75d3.png
2014-02-17000819_zps9101aff9.png
20140217_000246_zpsd0caed11.jpg

Ok, now concern #2, is he going/has gone blind? His eyes have always looked like this since day 1,, but the pix of the other puffers dont have this frost look on the outer lenses. And again,, maybe he just didnt feel good, he got ahold of 2 minnows yesterday that were meant for the eal and the Huma trigger. (it wont happen again). I have been reading so much about these guys and Im concerned.
\
20140217_000327_zps18bdb562.jpg
20140217_000237_zps01df90c8.jpg

O, ammonia 0
trites and traits barley on the scales, both colors barley changed (I checked them last night and dont remember exactly but it was not in the worry zone) . He lived in alot worse for a couple weeks in the QT last month.
PH. 8.2
temp 78.4

Also,, I just redid my lighting and there were no lights on the tank all day till I got home at 11 and installed them. Could this have just thrown off his schedule?

Im just hoping I get to go home and see him doing his little happy dance when he sees me.

When he / if he starts eating again I am going to soak his freeze dried krill in garlic juice so thats already happening. Just looking for some calming advice hopefully.

bgfrank213

I have the same problem, there are posts on a thread. blind puffer search, you will find it. He may regain his vision. From what everyone tells me, its a vitamin deficiency unless you see white on his eyes. Im dealing with the same issue, Ive tried melafix= nothing happened. I was advised to feed him clams, fish with vitamin D, and earthworms/blackworms.

bgfrank213

Also search: how do I get a blind puffer to eat. I actually grab my puffer and hand feed him, and have been for the past week since he no longer sees, surprisingly he doesnt puff up. I guess since he is blind he knows Im feeding him. At first he may not want to eat so you will have to take him out of the water and when he opens his mouth you put a piece of clam/fish/food in its mouth, watch your fingers they have beaks not teeth that are sharp. I dont have to really take my puffer out of the water as it has gotten used to me grabbing him to feed him. Im going to buy quality fish from the store like herring/mackrel/salmon that are rich in vitamin D to see if it is a vitamin deficiency. I had only been feeding him dried shrimp / and frozen krill<<<< big mistake. Some people have posted that they actually regain their vision. Search the posts and you will find detailed info on what I have described.

Steve L

I know puffer keepers say it's bad, but when my last puffer was knocking on deaths door I put him in a hospital tank and dosed him with copper. It cured whatever was wrong with him and he's still happy & healthy today. I made the dose a bit lower than suggested and kept him there for 2 weeks. In my experience puffers will never eat normally until whatever is wrong with them is cured.

kyle4201

I have read all the posts , prob why im worried, lol. My concern is in the pix I posted. Every1 talks about white eye,, his is just, weird, looks like micro bubbles in his lenses almost. All the ones at the fish stores I noticed look the same. Was just wondering if its usuall or the 1st sign of blindness. Did yours do like mine looked 1st?

bgfrank213

Ever since I got my puffer there seems to be this blotches if you can describe them, but he would see just fine before and come beg for food like a little puppy. Look for the thread: How do I get a blind puffer to eat. I just started feeding my puffer clams & earthworms as of yesterday. I am going to get him herring/salmon, and start feeding him that since it is packed with vitamin D. Once you read the threads you will feel better, I know I did. I will take a few pics and post them so you can see what my Porcupine Puffer " Gordo" looks like. Paul D, on my thread has great advice.

bgfrank213

Look for the replies by Paul D, he seems to know what he is talking about. The girl who originally started the thread: " How do I get a blind puffer to eat seems to have gotten her puffer back to good health, and from what I read she followed Paul Ds advice. Go check that out. In my case I think its a diet issue, I was only feeding him dried shrimp, and krill. Now I know better so I doing earthworms, mussels that I grab at the beach(freshly picked off the rocks), and wild caught salmon or herring since its jam packed with vitamin D. I tried dosing my tank with API's MELAFIX, did it for 1 week as recommended but it didnt do anything so I knew he wasnt sick. He moves around and swims, he is active but just cant see. I'll let you know if any progress is made. Im hoping my Gordo recovers his vision. Im bummed out that he hasnt been able to see for about 3 weeks now. Let me know if you hear anything.

Kevinkretch

I know this is from a long time ago but did you ever figure out what those white hanging things were? Mine has them too and I haven’t a clue what it is.

Paul B

Puffers go blind very easily and you can cure that in about a week. Just dim the lights. They have big eyes and normally swim under rocks and "rest" in the dark. I have spent quite a bit of time with them underwater because they swim about as fast as I can.
He should re gain his sight in about 10 days.

A reef tank is to bright for them. Earthworms or snails are a good food but they live on small crabs. I used to catch crabs but you can get them at a bait shop. Worms will work but won't do anything to grind d own their teeth which may not be a problem. You can grind down their teeth but they frown on that.

I collected this little 1/2" burrfish in the Atlantic. After a year he got to big and I gave him to the NY Aquarium in Coney Island.