Noisy RSM 250 skimmer pump.........

Danreef

Hi all

I am not sure if this is common or not, but before expending money in a new skimmer pump I would like to know if others had the same issue and how they solved.

The tank has been working for 2 months. It is brand new. The skimmer works very well but the pump noise have been increasing to a point that ruins the beauty and peacefulness of be sitting in front of the tank watching the corals and fish.

Any suggestion to solve this problem ?

Thanks
Daniel

Hey Dan.. I forget if you have a c or original model but my skimmer only makes noise from water fall when the water level is low. Unfortunately this happens very often, considering the insane amount of water evaporation! I will solve that issue soon with ATO system, just waiting for tank to cycle and learn more about it before adding to many mods. Do you have an ATO?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 on.... my skimmer only makes noise from water fall when the water level is low.

an ato would be a great investment, I manually topoff and I know exactly when I forget to add water from the above ^ sound

but sound is subjective... I took an expensive sound meter & recorded the skimmer DB levels, then fans, then the hum of the frig & dishwasher, etc... in my den open to the kitchen where my tank is... long story short, seems all skimmers & tanks do make some noise (not just RSM) and sound is relative to ones hearing & perception, I run a ceiling fan every night over our bed & have come to need the sound of the blades cutting through the air to sleep well.

But thus said, when my water level drops, it does bother me, I manually top off 5 gallons a week almost a gallon a day and then weekly water changes so I only top off really every other day, when I miss two days... it's noticeably louder.

Danreef

You are correct Glenn, when the TV or AC are ON the skimmer pump sound is not important. All is relative. Nevertheless, the point is that the 2 return pumps are silent and the skimmer pump has a Vibration noise that is continuous and disturbing.

Does anyone else have this issue with the skimmer pump ?

Have anyone changed that pump for another brand pump ?

BTW it is not the water fall sound. I love the water sound, is very relaxing.

I have a Tunze Nano ATO since the first day I plugged the skimmer. Level is always as recomended by RS (2 nd line from top).

Thanks for your answers guys.
Daniel

PS: I have the RSM 250 bought in March of 2014 and set it up on May 11

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you ever pull the skimmer pump & clean the impeller & it's housing, I do this even few months... could as simple as a piece of debris in there... mine with water level up, if less noisy than my MP10 running at 1/2 speed or even the cooling & hood fans.

see what others think & if they have similar... don't remember many post related.... and I have read every post in the RSM club ;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
might also... verify your water height too... as my tank matures, I lowered my gate height like another 1/2 inch & raised my water level one mark down from the top

that & cleaning the impeller & it's housing... I hope will help - best of luck !

kevinalewis729

Does anyone use led strip for added pop or shimmer? Mabe even better night viewing? If so what do you use? Is it too bright to run after t5 goes out for the fish to rest? I did get a digitata, welso, lobo, some PPE, RPE, and a few other frags this weekend. I'll get a ato for my birthday this month. I'm excited about that cause I'll be able to run my protein skimmer. I've got a hydor slim skim. It fits in the back overflow pretty good. Good night everyone and happy reefing:)