Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Aha, I think (just think) that the second Leopard Wrasse is still alive. A few minutes ago I was just walking past the tank when I noticed a cloud of sand being blown up. It's was the same as when a Wrasse decides to dive under the sand. I did a quick check and all of the normal crew were swimming about, so it was none of them. I can only guess that the Leopard had come up for a look and me going past the tank spooked it again to dive under the sand.

SPR

Aha, I think (just think) that the second Leopard Wrasse is still alive. A few minutes ago I was just walking past the tank when I noticed a cloud of sand being blown up. It's was the same as when a Wrasse decides to dive under the sand. I did a quick check and all of the normal crew were swimming about, so it was none of them. I can only guess that the Leopard had come up for a look and me going past the tank spooked it again to dive under the sand.
Maybe they just don’t like you! Lol

SPR

I may be no oil painting but I'm not exactly the Elephant Man either!
Yes but when your leering through the glass at them, you probably look at least a little frightening!

Some fish can be very timid, I have a few in the big tank as well

Nobbygas

Well, I've given up on ever seeing the second Leopard Wrasse, so that experiment was a total failure. Not only that but the female Trigger is 100% dead and the male Trigger has also disappeared. No sign of him whatsoever. It does look as though the demise of the female also triggered (no pun intended) the demise of the male for some reason. All the other fish are looking fine with no abnormal behaviour to be seen. All the usual water parameters are fine as well. Not the best episode in my reefing career. I shall now let the tank settle down again for a period before I attempt to introduce any more fish.

One problem I have at the moment is the heat. It's around 38 degrees every day at the moment. The temperature inside the house is around 27 degrees and with the tank running at around 4 degrees above the ambient temperature, it means the Chiller is kicking in about six or seven times a day. Even at night the temperature in the house does not drop below 26.5 degrees. We have triple glazing in the house and only Air Con in the bedrooms, but when it is this hot it is difficult to keep the temperature down in the house. We have electric roller blinds on the outside of every window, and in the mornings one side of the house is 'closed' (the sunny side), and we switch things over around midday as the sun moves, so we avoid having direct sunshine coming through the windows. I think we are going to have to get some Air Con installed downstairs as well.

Pancho75

I am sorry to read about your recent fish losses, not funny but as we all know it is part of this hobby.

Have you think in placing a ventilator inside the sump or pointing the display tank water surface?

Nobbygas

I am sorry to read about your recent fish losses, not funny but as we all know it is part of this hobby.

Have you think in placing a ventilator inside the sump or pointing the display tank water surface?
The chiller works well enough to keep things stable. It'll be 38 degrees again tomorrow. Only a couple of weeks more then the average temperatures will begin to drop as Autumn approaches.

Nobbygas

This is a short video of my first Saltwater tank. It was a 60 litre Nano. It was sat in a fake leather tray, and I had put the same sand around the outside of the tank as I had put in the tank. Nothing flash about this tank. A small HOB filter and a 10% water change every week and that was it ! I thought it looked rather splendid :) Previously I had a 250 litre fresh water tank.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

and here is the latest video of the S-650. The Nano was from 9 years ago and the Leather on the right still lives in the S-650.

SPR

On the first video, is the space man on the left you when you were training for the moon landings, or is that what you tell the ladies!?

The S650’s looking good. I think the red/pink montipora is the same as I have in the S650 and it looks like it’s spreading. I think there spreading rather than plating types and I swore it wasn’t going in the new tank because it’s relentless. I only add plating types.

Nobbygas

On the first video, is the space man on the left you when you were training for the moon landings, or is that what you tell the ladies!?

The S650’s looking good. I think the red/pink montipora is the same as I have in the S650 and it looks like it’s spreading. I think there spreading rather than plating types and I swore it wasn’t going in the new tank because it’s relentless. I only add plating types.
Yeah, I bought it after being told it's the plating type, only to find it just spreads. I no longer go to that LFS.

Nobbygas

It's not a Space Man you fool. It's a deep sea diver given to me by Jacques Cousteau after I became the first man to train wild Dolphins in the Red Sea while I was his personal diving instructor on his boat, or at least that is what I tell the ladies :)

SPR

It's not a Space Man you fool. It's a deep sea diver given to me by Jacques Cousteau after I became the first man to train wild Dolphins in the Red Sea while I was his personal diving instructor on his boat, or at least that is what I tell the ladies :)
Lol! I bet you do!

Nobbygas

I couldn't resist. I just happened to be driving past my favourite LFS yesterday (it's about 25 miles from my house) so I thought I would just pop in, as you do.......came away with a pair of beautiful Blue Throated Triggers!

SPR

I couldn't resist. I just happened to be driving past my favourite LFS yesterday (it's about 25 miles from my house) so I thought I would just pop in, as you do.......came away with a pair of beautiful Blue Throated Triggers!
Beautiful, hopefully those 2 will be fine

Do you know how long they have been together ?

Nobbygas

The Triggers appear to be settling in quite nicely. While I was in the LFS buying the Triggers, I noticed they had a couple of Blue Leopard Wrasse. I have to have one in the tank. Methinks I may find the car drives itself to that LFS either tomorrow or Saturday. I also need to give my Anthia population a bit of a lift, so I'll be looking to get another two or three of the Bimaculatus Anthias. The Bimaculatus are slightly bigger than the Lyretails, and they have more pink and yellow in them. That will bring the total fish population up to thirty fish, which I think is enough......although, if they have a Royal Gramma I may be tempted to get another one. The two I have are better at grouping than any other type of fish I've seen.

SPR

The Triggers appear to be settling in quite nicely. While I was in the LFS buying the Triggers, I noticed they had a couple of Blue Leopard Wrasse. I have to have one in the tank. Methinks I may find the car drives itself to that LFS either tomorrow or Saturday. I also need to give my Anthia population a bit of a lift, so I'll be looking to get another two or three of the Bimaculatus Anthias. The Bimaculatus are slightly bigger than the Lyretails, and they have more pink and yellow in them. That will bring the total fish population up to thirty fish, which I think is enough......although, if they have a Royal Gramma I may be tempted to get another one. The two I have are better at grouping than any other type of fish I've seen.
I might get a few more royal gamma’s as well

I’ve got a tiny Naso tang and golden wrasse arriving today and also a green coral

I don’t know what ‘which I think is enough‘ means!

Nobbygas

I didn't maker it to the LFS last week.......maybe this week?

In the meantime, my latest ICP test results have come back and I'm very happy with them. I'm still not doing water changes.