Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

It’s probably going to be difficult to call because my two had been fighting and separated by the LFS. And it was months before they were back together.

It might be worth leaving it, as it could get expensive and frustrating?
Yeah, I will not get another female. The male will have to remain a lonely critter, but it's all his own fault. Once he expires I'll get another pair. No doubt he will now become the longest living trigger in captivity. Probably outlive me !

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Yeah, I will not get another female. The male will have to remain a lonely critter, but it's all his own fault. Once he expires I'll get another pair. No doubt he will now become the longest living trigger in captivity. Probably outlive me !
I hope you didn’t call him ‘george’ after lonesome! Lol

Nobbygas

I swear I'm going mad. She's still alive ! She is still deep in the rockwork. Using a torch shining through a small gap I can see her tail and the rear portion of her body. I thought she was dead as she was laying on the floor sideways, no movement, discolouration marks on the body and the tail was at a strange angle. This morning I looked again expecting to see her mostly eaten by the CUC, only to find her staring back at me and very much alive and moving her fins ! I've squirted some food into her cave using a long turkey baster thingy. Can she pull through?

Nobbygas

This could be the greatest comeback of all time! Tonight, she is free swimming outside of the cave. I can see some whitish patches on her body, and her tail fin looks a bit ragged, but she is out and about! The male is not giving her any aggrevation. She went in last Friday and this is the first time she has come out. She is not moving very far from her cave, but that is probably because she is nervous. I attempted the old trick of putting into the opposite end from her just to attract the mob, and then dumped some food right next to her but she didn't appear to eat anything. These are positive signs though.

Nobbygas

Wow. in my experience I have never seen a fish recover like this. Going from laying sideways on the sand bed and not moving, to swimming around, and today she started eating for the first time. She looks like she is recovering, and just in time for my next little experiment. If I put in two female Leopard Wrasse, will one of them transition to a male? They arrive next Tuesday morning.

SPR

Wow. in my experience I have never seen a fish recover like this. Going from laying sideways on the sand bed and not moving, to swimming around, and today she started eating for the first time. She looks like she is recovering, and just in time for my next little experiment. If I put in two female Leopard Wrasse, will one of them transition to a male? They arrive next Tuesday morning.
Are you getting them mail order or LFS?

SPR

You may recall I ordered from Masterfish and I’ve ordered at least 4 times now

I have to say, the SPS corals are far better than available from the LFS’s and better value and generally bigger. All are in place and growing and healthy

I ordered 4 fish, one was DOA unfortunately but they gave me a refund immediately upon sending a picture. The other 3 fish are very healthy.

Every time I’ve been to the LFS recently, and before the current situation, they seem to have the same old stuff in stock, if much at all. All corals are either green, pink or a shade similar.

In my world, I order everything online, I hate shopping. I once went to a shop in Spain and asked if they had this shoe in a size 11. The assistant came back and said, no but we have it in a 9!

I can sit in my chair at home, with a fine beer in hand, order exactly what fish I want or coral and it’s delivered to my door within 24/48 hours.

I have to say I try and support the LFS when I can but they really don’t do themselves any favours. if I can get these fish‘corals why can’t they......

Nobbygas

Update:
The female trigger is settling well. She hasn't explored the whole tank and tends to stay in one area. The discolouration marks on her body have gone and she is eating and looking much healthier. Her tail still looks a bit 'ugh' but I think that will recover in due course.
The two Leopard Wrasse seem to have settled well. They were both out swimming around yesterday. I half expected them to disappear into the sand for a week or two. No real aggression has been shown to them apart from the odd nip which I think is just the usual attempts by the fish to establish the hierachy.

Pancho75

Update:
The female trigger is settling well. She hasn't explored the whole tank and tends to stay in one area. The discolouration marks on her body have gone and she is eating and looking much healthier. Her tail still looks a bit 'ugh' but I think that will recover in due course.
The two Leopard Wrasse seem to have settled well. They were both out swimming around yesterday. I half expected them to disappear into the sand for a week or two. No real aggression has been shown to them apart from the odd nip which I think is just the usual attempts by the fish to establish the hierachy.
Good you have again female triggerfish Nobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

The two female Leopard Wrasse went into the tank last Wednesday. I saw them swimming around on Thursday, but since then nothing as they've disappeared into the sand. Now I just have to wait and see if one, or both, ever appear again ! I'm relaxed to wait for a couple of weeks before panic sets in :)

SPR

The two female Leopard Wrasse went into the tank last Wednesday. I saw them swimming around on Thursday, but since then nothing as they've disappeared into the sand. Now I just have to wait and see if one, or both, ever appear again ! I'm relaxed to wait for a couple of weeks before panic sets in :)
Fingers crossed!

it’s a big tank and probably very daunting to a little fish, so.....

Nobbygas

Fingers crossed!

it’s a big tank and probably very daunting to a little fish, so.....
This is probably one of the most frustrating aspects of this hobby. Fish like Wrasse do disappear for a long period, and you never know if you'll ever see them again. The upside is that if they do come through they are probably some of the most active and beautiful fish in the tank. I currently have a Melanurus, Banana, Yellow-Tailed Tamarin, Pastel Green and Cleaner Wrasse who are all growing well and have been established in the tank for over two years now. I would like more Wrasse, but you have to be careful how you mix them.

Nobbygas

8 days since I last saw the two Wrasse. I'm starting to get a bit twitchy.
In other news it is hot here. It's expected to get around 38 degrees today, and I expect the chiller to kick in at least four or five times today.

SPR

8 days since I last saw the two Wrasse. I'm starting to get a bit twitchy.
In other news it is hot here. It's expected to get around 38 degrees today, and I expect the chiller to kick in at least four or five times today.
Its going to have a 'feels like' temperature here of 36c.

Im glad I installed the chiller in the big tank, keeps everything as it should be.

Fingers crossed with the wrasses

rustyreefer

My new female trigger arrived just now (08:15am). She looks fine and healthy. At the moment she is sat in the bag while it floats in the tank to equalize the temperature. Later I will transfer her to the trap to give her some more room to move, plus I think it allows the other fish to have a look at her, and her at them. The male trigger came to have a look about 30 seconds after I placed the bag in the tank. Will it be love on the first date between the two ? We'll have to see.
Thought about getting one the other day as they had one at the LFS. Haven’t decided if it will be a good add yet but I know you and SPR have had success with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

The attempt to add two female Leopard Wrasse in the hope that one transitions to a male has unravelled. I found one dead on the sand yesterday evening. Still no sign of the second one either.

Nobbygas

I'm feeling a bit despondent at the moment. The female trigger has regressed and is back hiding in her cave just laying on the floor. She has been swimming freely for about three weeks and eating well, so I don't know why she has decided to hide again and stop eating. There still is no sign of the second Leopard Wrasse and it's coming up to two weeks since I last saw her. As I stated previously, the first female Leopard Wrasse I found dead laying on the sand. The three new fish cannot be deemed a success at the moment. As this is the first time I have bought fish from this particular online supplier I expect it will be the last time with them. To finally cap things off one of the Twospotted Anthias has disappeared. I have no idea why. I usually check the fish every single day. First a body count then a closer look to ensure everyone looks healthy, then yesterday while doing the body count she had 'gone'.
All the other fish are acting/eating normally. Normal water tests seem to show everything is ok.