new to SW, first tank

SaltLife

hey everyone...new to the forum...first post.

just bought my new aquapod 24 and i find myself just staring at it in my room for minutes at a time...really looking forward to putting some cleaners in there in a few weeks...im posting on here for any tips anyone can give me that i havent already read...i pretty much know the basics from what the LFS told me, but that isnt really much even though they were very nice...the booklet that comes with the aquapod is pretty much worthless as far as setting up goes, so ive just been going on what ive read online...

my system is completely stock so far. i plan on buying a more powerful jet in a few weeks...ive got my aquascape, live sand, and RO mixed saltwater all setup and sitting there for two days now...took only a few hours to settle...it crystal clear and looking pretty...

i was wondering why at the time that the clerk at the LFS store told me i didnt need to have a kit to check my levels, because they want me in the store while they do it for me...ill be buying my own tomorrow because i have no clue to whats going on in there...

something im not understanding is the bio balls...the black black balls that open up...along with the media...the LFS told me to just put them in the right back compartment? and what about the slots in the back right compartment? all closed except the top one? how i have it now it all slots closed and filtering in through top. media in bottom of comp and bio balls floating in top...hope its right...anyhow, enough rambling...ill post some photos of my new tank. let me know if my aquascape is acceptable...id rather make changes now...
DSCN3796.jpg

DSCN3799.jpg

DSCN3800.jpg

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg

spanglish

While I'm no expert, I have paid attention to alot of threads on
this and other forums.
The general concensus is to toss the bio balls. They tend to be
a nitrate factory. Replace them ( a little at a time if you've already
cycled) with rubble (small bits of LR) .:wave:

spanglish

aquascape looks nice. make sure there is room on all sides for magnet
cleaner to fit between rock and glass or you'll never get it clean.

kare-bear

Is the tank acrylic or glass? I have one that is acrylic. I have not found a magnet cleaner safe for acrylic. I haven't had to clean the acrylic for months though, I seem to have the right balance of critters to do that for me. I do really like your rockwork!!

SaltLife

mine is acrylic also...all my rocks are clear except for the one that is off from all the others by itself...need to move that one out a couple mm's...besides that its good...what kind of critters you packin KAREBEAR?

kare-bear

I have a few corals, Xenia, Frogspawn, Bubble, half dead Goniopora, Cynarina, and some mushrooms. I have one clown, 2 blue chromis, 2 firefish, 1 spotted cardinal, a sandsifting star, some shrimp and snails. I am pretty new to this...I just upgraded to a larger tank but it's still empty. I have learned alot from this site. Good luck. I can't wait to see the progress.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Looks like a nice start. Can you remove the rock in the middle leaving the arch? That would be cool!

Kazzy

There are acrylic magnet cleaners for sale alongside glass ones. Look for one in your LFS next visit. Oh yeah, and dump the goniopora.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Try this link
http://www.nimblenano.com/default.htm

I have two of them (one small and one large) and I am planning to order another Large and maybe even get a couple of CUSTOM ones made that are like Super Extra Large. They do work VERY good.

Scott's idea of an open arch would be SWEET!!

SaltLife

Looks like a nice start. Can you remove the rock in the middle leaving the arch? That would be cool!

kind of funny you ask...the whole top collapsed the other day, thankfully it didnt hit the glass or smash any of the CUC i had just put in...rearranged it again, its more sturdy now but i dont like the aquascape as much....bah!! its ok though, still plenty of swim throughs...

kathywithbirds

How many lbs is the LR? Looks nice!!

Most people seem to say toss the bioballs. I read here, actually, somewhere, something about leaving the bioballs through the cycle and tossing them later? Dunno, I'm relatively new too.

BTW... the only problem with nanos is that you want to add WAY too much stuff and end up getting a big tank!!! :lol:

SaltLife

i have about 25lbs of live rock in there...no it wasnt sturdy, it fell over...my tank is still cycling now...thought it was done cycling, then the diatom bloom hit...turned brown...now its green everywhere...nitrates were spiked, and have dropped...does the green algae go away on its own or do i have to take it off?

anyone have an answer?

i must not be like most people though because i dont want a big tank, and i dont want a lot of fish, im perfectly happy with a clown or 2 and maybe one more fish...what i do want though is some cool coral/mushrooms in there...juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust waitingggggg....==]

lcstorc

When you say it is green what kind of green?
If it is a dusting of green on the glass then that is perfectly normal. Get a mag float and get used to using it.
If it is something else then a pic would help a lot.

SaltLife

When you say it is green what kind of green?
If it is a dusting of green on the glass then that is perfectly normal. Get a mag float and get used to using it.
If it is something else then a pic would help a lot.

camera is at girlfriends house...it is just a dusty green that comes off easily with my mag float...i think my snails and hermits want me to blow it off with turkey baster? good idea? not sure if anyone is actually reading any of this but does anyone else have crazy ass blue legged hermits that climb to the very top of the LR and leap off of it...its pretty hilarious...they have done it in groups...they trying to commit suicide? heh

prow

green huh. a little early for green algae. usually its brown bacteria that grows first. but like lynn said its normal for whatever to bloom, at least its not red:) are using tap water?

SaltLife

green huh. a little early for green algae. usually its brown bacteria that grows first. but like lynn said its normal for whatever to bloom, at least its not red:) are using tap water?

i thought green was normal after the brown....and no on the tap water...doing water topoffs with distilled

prow

i thought green was normal after the brown....and no on the tap water...doing water topoffs with distilled
its more common for the brown bacterial stuff to be seen first, but it doesnt mean its not normal if you see green first. a little unusual maybe but not abnormal by any means.

if possible try to use RO/DI water or just RO instead of distilled. distilled water can have an effect on ion exchange.

SaltLife

its more common for the brown bacterial stuff to be seen first, but it doesnt mean its not normal if you see green first. a little unusual maybe but not abnormal by any means.

if possible try to use RO/DI water or just RO instead of distilled. distilled water can have an effect on ion exchange.

yea, ive been meaning to pickup a 5 gallon bucket so i can top off my evaporation with better water...once i do that is the ro/di water ok to sit until needed for topping off?