HELP! New To Hobby... Tank Cycling...

WD11001

I got a second hand 92 gallon corner tank that friends were getting rid of. They upgraded to 200. It came with a sump (23 gallon I think), protein skimmer, bio-balls, UV filter. I have about 100lbs of live rock in it. I started off with treated tap water and ran the tank about two weeks. Then I added a live rock branch and two clowns and a blonde naso tang (at the suggestion of the LFS). All seemed well. I watched the numbers and tested religiously. They were all going along well. About a week after those additions, I added 10 lbs of live rock (I think it is the bio rock made in CA). A few days later I added a red flame angel and a diamond watchman gobie. I continued all the water testing. I had not changed water yet though.

A week or so later I added about 6lbs of the rock, three mexican turbo snails. The snails had what may have been pods on them, we were grossed out and I removed them and returned them to the LFS. I also had ammonia and nitrate spikes after these latest rocks were added. After about a day my tang (who I loved and used to eat seaweed out of my hand) started hiding and not eating. He was dead in a day. That was two days ago. Numbers seems stable... ammonia at 0, pH at 8.0, nitrite at 0, nitrate hovering around 20 (I plan a water change tonight after work or early tomorrow).

I definitely think that I added stuff too quickly, with some bad advise from the LFS. My concern is that this is a hobby that gets overwhelming. I have good equipment. I added two Koralia wave makers at the top, and the two returns send water from the top (with the Koralias) around making good movement. So far... it seems the remaining 4 fish are happy. But what my wife thought would lessen my stress, has of course stressed me out. Any comments, ideas, suggestions would be most helpful...Thanks.

WD11001

Attached is a photo of the tank as it stands today...you can see the flame angel and the clowns. The gobie is of course hiding. He lives under a rock in the rear. He comes out and cleans/sifts the gravel on the sides but has not made it to the front yet. I really do not want snails or inverts to clean it. Some of my research in another forum tells me that I am the best cleaner and that I should try to vacuum that during water changes.IMG_1809.JPG

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Here my best tip... it's really a compiled collection of sw reefing tips for success - you will spot the recurring theme :clink: it's the key to success, especially when starting out... and my 2nd best tip - whatever the LFS tell you, verify on the forum, lots of great members will help you have sw success :nessie:

Be Patient. Ecosystems do not develop over night!
Go Slow, relax and enjoy every step of the process.
Have lots of patience, don't rush it.
Nothing good ever happens fast in a saltwater tank.
Learn the art of GO S-L-O-W!! patience will be your biggest virtue.
Just remember to go slow and do your research
Go slow....slower than you think
The trick is to go slow...
The best advice anyone here has give me is GO SLOW
Rules for Reef tanks 1. Go SLow 2. Go slow 3. GO slow
Nothing happens fast in a salt tank except bad things so go slow
The biggest advice that I could give you is that you should go very slow
Just go slow. Slow, slow, slow is my best advise
Go slow and do things right and your setup will thank you for it later
Remember the number one rule of reefing,,GO SLOW...
Go slow and enjoy..never rush any decisions ever..do nothing on impulse.
Go slow, and during that time, read, and practice the maintenance routines of water changes
A reef tank is like a race car. The faster you go the harder you crash
"gospel" of reef tanks ... go slow...

WD11001

So... my tank is running well. My tenants seem happy and hungry. I have been researching and reading and reading and researching. I've gone to multiple LFS and read lots of forums.

My diamond watchman goby became a banded sleeper goby... because the watchman jumped out one night. So I remain with the two clowns, the banded goby and the red flame angel.

I would really like to add some colorful fish. But I can't get a straight answer from the LFS or even forum opinions...

I'd love some ideas for colorful fish...