New Tank Underway

mane3215

In the process of starting a new tank, could use some help.

I have some key concerns. I want this to be as "automated" and "maintenance free" as possible. Of course I am not trying to avoid the regular scraping, water changes etc, I just don't always want to be baby sitting it.

Here is the equipment planned:

50x40x24 tank, I am having a centered rear trapezoid shaped over flow like this \_____/, I will have three holes drilled in the bottom of the over flow, I am thinking 2-2" over flow and a 1.5" return. Also 9 holes drilled in the back for the closed loop, I want two on the bottom rear of the tank plumbed to a spray bar, the others I am not sure where yet for various returns. These will all be hooked up to probably 2 4 way oceanmoption squirts. Or maybe put7 holes in the rear and two in the top rear eurobrace for two 1" sea swirls. I want to keep as clean an installation as possible. Any input?

Schuran Jet 1 calcium reactor

IKS computer system with external display

Bubble King External 500 skimmer

Bubble King red dragon return pumps for sump/fuge return and ocean motions.

The lights I am kicking around the idea of two lumanarcs, but to try to keep a clean install I may opt for something else. They aren't the slickest thing I have layed eyes on. I also wanted them to be 400's, but I hear 400 moguls aren't that great, but have done no research yet.

Probably IKS t8's for actinic (if they are out by that time)

Red Sea 200mg/h ozonizer

Deltec fluidized bed reactor for phos

Not sure which chiller yet.

Now, a main concern is plumbing an easy way to change water. I was thinking about having a hardline plumbed in heading straight to a drain, but there is really no easy way to measure water. Is there some kind of metering device I can run inline on the plumbing to tell me how many gallons I have drained? I am aware I can mark the tank and calculate, but I want EASY =).

I want a top off res that is auto topped off via ro/di with some kind of float, and an easy way to divert flow of ro/di to refill the sw container after I do a water change. Any ideas here?

Any input from you guys who have already been through the motions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ahead! Sorry for the long post!

Craig Manoukian

A flow meter with valve control or a float in the tank to control the the water change valve would be my first guess Chris.

Last edited:

mnreefman

heres what i have done... i have a 77 gal rubbermade tub for a sump.... no lr isgoning in it just the heaters and skimmer... i added a bulkhead and ran fex tube toa drain in the floor.... all my drains are valved so i can esily stop flowto and from the fuge. turn off return pump and skmmer and heater..... open valve to floor drain... drain out water and replace... turn everything back on... very simple and easy :)
hth or atleast gives you ideas

mane3215

Hey bro, been incredibly busy. I am just going over the final tank dimensions with Will now, just waiting for his response.

You can see the diagram in high res HERE

tank.sized.jpg

I will also be ordering hopefully by this weeks end the schuran jet one calcium reactor, and a bubble king external skimmer. I need to get this ball rolling =).

baja_01

For the ro top off, you can use a float switch and a solinoid.

You can get all the parts from mcmaster carr. I can look them up if you want.

mane3215

Thanks Baja, i will most likely be using my tunze osmolator, so far its the best top up system I have ever used. Or I will use the IKS computer with their top off accessory.

mnreefman

one last... internal overflow or external..???? i dod and external on my 230 gal ad the extra 8" im saving for realeste inside the tank will be wirth it

mane3215

Thanks guys, should start ordering parts next week. Still waiting for Will from Aquarium Obsessed to get back to me its been nearly a week. If I don't hear by tomorrow I am going to go with miracles in glass.

MN, I will be doing internal like the pic above. I really wanted external, but I would actually be losing space in the tank by doing it because I only have about 44" of clearance for the tank front to back. The external has to be at least 6", so the tank would only be about 38". I really wanted 48" with external over flows, but I just cant make that work =(.

mane3215

Well its been ordered =). I have to get him the the proper bulkhead placement by tomorrow, so I need to figure it out by today heh.

The tank dimensions changed slightly. It is now 60x44x28. I just couldn't help thinking of everyone always saying they would go bigger if they did it again.