New Tank Not Level

Beth Maroney

Hi all! The LFS came and set up my new tank and it was a little off level wise. Now that I’ve come home at the end of the evening and it’s dark out, the level is quite off- maybe an inch difference in the water level between the back right and front left corners. Not only is it annoying and noisy, but I’m nervous about the pressure on the tank over time. Am I crazy to ask them to come back and help me level it? I don’t have the ability or containers to drain 70 gallons of saltwater....

I should add that this is a Red Sea E 250, if anyone has specific leveling advice.

See attached photo for reference!

Attachments

• 3FB6F340-40FE-43B4-AA45-8AC684BD6689.jpeg
    3FB6F340-40FE-43B4-AA45-8AC684BD6689.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Might check out this link... some have used them to level tanks... see what others suggest, I would have thought the LFS might have suggested a fix. Any chance it's up against the wall to close and on something?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Nelson-Woo...kAtFh0Z5_TlZhZoTPOOtVTQgLB4CfUtBoCJREQAvD_BwE

091996812654.jpg

Last edited:

Beth Maroney

Thanks! I checked and it’s away from the wall. I live in Amsterdam so it’s not surprising the floor isn’t totally level.... but this is more than it seemed. (They didn’t offer suggestions, but to be fair carrying a 70 gal tank up three flights of Amsterdam stairs had us all pretty exhausted).

Last edited:

DaveK

Since the tank is off from back right to front left, you must correct this. Not doing so will cause the tank to twist and deform and in time leak. If the tank were off only front to back or left to right, you would not be as bad off, because the tank isn't being twisted.

Using the shims as suggested by @nanoreefing4fun can help solve your problem.

saintsreturn

I am not familiar with those tanks, but i have used both shims and paint sticks (yeah dont judge) to level the tank out. I did sand down the paint sticks and it was only off by a hair. I would absolutely get it fixed now, versus having the risk pending.

Oxylebius

Agree w/other posts. Now is the time to fix this, don't wait. Fixing now would be much easier then dealing with water everywhere later (and critters that would need to be tended to as well).