New seahorse help

ds69

Ok so I decided to try a seahorse in my refuge. The Lfs just got in 5 cb h. reidi ponys and I decided it was worth a try. I had them feed them first and I got the one that was going around the tank eating like a champ. I have had him for 24 but havent gotten him to eat yet. i have been trying to feed him mysis shrimp, I also put a glass bowl in there which will later be the feeding the station. The only problem im having besides him not eating is the defrosted mysis wants to float for some reason? they wont stay down in the bowl. Im not sure If I should be worried since of course he just changed homes but I think im going to go get some live brine shrimp tommorow just in case I need them. Let me know what ya think because I know theres a few out there with some wonderful pony tanks :).

Thanks
Kevin

meandean45

Not one of the few, but have seahorse experience. Did you buy the exact same Mysis that the LFS was feeding? If it's a different brand, the size may be different (larger ?), and your Seahorse may be unable to suck it in. Was the LFS feeding their seahorses with a dropper ? in a bowl? Etc.? Try to feed him in a similar fasion to what the LFS was doing. Often SH can be enticed to feed from a clear glass eye-dropper by "Teasing" them with the Mysis in the dropper, before squirting the Mysis out next to the seahorse.
I'm at a loss as to why the Mysis is floating, perhaps it was frozen in freshwater, and needs to be soaked in a cup of saltwater for an hour or two? Are you soaking his food in Selcon or something? Maybe that's the cause of the floating Mysis ?!
You do need to get him to eat, ASAP. SHs should be fed Mysis to satiation 3 or more times a day. If live brine is what it takes to get a feeding response, then by all means do it. once he starts feeding, you should be able to get him on to the frozen Mysis with the teasing trick fairly easily. Do try the brine, as it's very important that you get him to feed ASAP.

Good luck, and hope that this helps!
Dean

lcstorc

Do you have a way to temporarily turn of the flow to your fuge? If so try that when feeding. It gives them more time to get the mysis before they fall to the ground. I turn of my pump when feeding mine and it works well for me.
Best of luck. Hope he starts eating soon.

JamesFitch

I used a garlic drop on the mysis when i first got my seahorses they wouldnt eat either after using garlic for a couple of days i stopped and they still eat good

ds69

Im using the same mysis they used the only difference is the flow in their tank is way high. So when they feed it flies everywhere and then they chase it. THe mysis cubes dont have any garlic added so do you think I shoudl add some? I know people are fond of usig garlic but what does it do exactly?

Right now Im squirting mysis near him and he watches it but no action. I also set up a bowl with some but I doubt he will go for that.

I do notice he is trying to suck up the super small pods on the glass.

Thanks
Kevin

Dragon Wrasse

Garlic helps premote feeding and boost the immune systems of your fish.

Garlic Xtreme helps boost your fishes' immune systems and encourage proper feeding with natural, nutritional garlic. You'll easily give all your marine and freshwater fish a potent source of garlic which helps combat infection and disease, while naturally attracting fish to food. Simply soak food with Garlic Xtreme, and even the finickiest eaters will be enticed to eat. You may also add Garlic Xtreme directly to aquarium water if fish are not eating.

Garlic Xtreme contains no artificial ingredients or steroids, and is safe for all species of marine and freshwater fishes, plants, live corals, and other invertebrates.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=5016&N=2004+22763

ds69

Well I checked one lfs today and they didnt have any food with garlic or any garlic additives. I can check another one tommorow since they are all closed right now. But I would rather do something now than wait. Would using normal grocery store garlic work? would I just crush a piece and let it soak in with the food? any ideas would be good I bought him on saturday so time is ticking :(

Thanks
Kevin

lcstorc

Well I do a batch at a time. I take a flat pack of mysis and rinse it well with ro/di water. Then put aboutn 6 cloves of garlic in the food processor or the garlic press to make a fine mush. Then I mix the mysis, with the garlic and cyclopeze and freeze in tiny ice cubes. I thaw a cube a day and that covers my morning and evening feeding. The cyclopeze is more for sun coral and the yellow clown goby but I swear I have seen my seahorse eat it as well.
No reason you can't do it a cube at a time though. Just press the garlic into kind of a paste and add a bit to the thawed and rinsed mysis.

ds69

Well I tryed it with garlic added into it and still nothing. He isnt even paying attention to the food floating around. He is just watchig for pods. I can see him snatching up pods so he is getting some food. The problem is there also so very small. Not sure what I should do now since the petstores no longer carry live brine around here anymore. Do you think i should try to carefully force feed it in a few days ? more opinions would greatly be appreciated I dont want to lose this lil guy.

Thanks
Kevin

lcstorc

I wish I had another sugggestion for you. Can you get any ghost shrimp? I give those to mine as a treat occasionally.
Have you been to seahorse.org? You may find some tricks there that I am not thinking of.

ds69

I can get ghosties but there the freshwater ones. Im not sure if they are small enough either but if I can get small enough ones do you think they would still work ?

Kevin

lcstorc

I alway had the saltwater ones, so I am not sure at all. Sorry just trying to think of any idea I can.

ds69

well i got brand new mysis and tried using it plain. I then tried using it with garlic. He still refuses to eat. Its not looking to good at this point. The wierd thing though is his pouch is getting bigger? I got him saturday and its now wednesday.....he is swimming all around the tank but just wont take any food no matter where or what I do.

Kevin

JamesFitch

He may have an air bubble in his pouch try to do a gentle massage lcstorc seahorse had or has the same problem shell know what to do.

lcstorc

Unfortunately my way did not work and ultimately we lost the fight. Much as I hate to suggest somewhere else, check out seahorse.org. The whole board is seahorses so theoretically there is lots of seahorse experience there. I have found them slower to respond but perhaps they can give another suggestion for you. I tried to massage the bubble out by hand and would succeed in reducing it every time, but then he would fill back up. I tried antibiotics but I think I tried them too late. Apparently when their pouch inflates like that it is either an air bubble or an infection or an air bubble that turns into an infection which I believe is what happened to mine.
Actually something just occurred to me. Any chance he is pregnant? That could also explain an expanded pouch but in a much happier way.
Hopefully that helps some. I wish I knew more I would be happy to share.

ds69

It is possible that he is pregnant but Im not sure if that would cause him to stop eating. right now hes at the feeding station but it looks like he is just sucking up pods that are feeding on the mysis.

Kevin

woolfe

I didn't read through all the posts so sorry if someone else already mentioned this. My Erectus wouldn't eat anything that didn't have eyes. I got him mysis from bio-pure. You can see the tiny black eyes & he goes after it like crazy. Here's a pic....

Attachments

• mysis 001.jpg
    mysis 001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 16

richardclausen

Have you tried to hatch your own Brine shrimp at home. Its easy & takes 36 hours before you have hundresd of tiny babies for your horse.

We do it here in Hong kong all the time with a coke bottle.

Simple. ill tell you how if you wish.

Rich