New Red Sea Tanks, XL 200/300

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Does anyone know when the new tank will be available for purchase? These are the XL 200 and 300 tanks that were announced in October and it stated "early 2020".

I was considering the reefer 250 but after finding out the stand was MDF my fears of a tank on the floor surfaced and pushed me to something else. These new stands are plywood and seems to have a "better" sump configuration along with the 2 new sizes.

I've "settled" on a water box 100.3 but now they are on a 6-8 week back order.......so now i'm wondering if these new red seas will be out in time to do a fair comparison.

Any thoughts? Do we still have a Red Sea rep that visits this forum?

Thanks!

Bryan

DaveK

If you need a new tank "right now" the last thing you want to do is purchase a product just out. New systems almost always have some issues that need to be resolved. Sometimes there are very serious problems. Go for something that has been out for awhile, and tested, and has good reviews from it's owners.

If you can wait awhile wait until the new system is out for 6 months or so and then gauge how good it really is. Often the new system is only slightly better that what it replaces, and may not be worth the extra cost.

Also consider building your system from various components. It's not likely you'll save any money and it's not "plug and play", but you will get to put the money where you feel it will do the most good. No point in expensive reef lighting id you want a FOWLR tank and so on.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Dave - a few points of clarification. The XL 200 and 300 are not a new series, just additional size options to the lineup. I really think these are coming out to compete with the waterbox sizes and upgraded stand/sump accessories. there still might be some bugs in the process so your point is under advisement :)

Been there and done that on a DIY tank before.......not interested in doing that again with all these great alternatives out there.

As for you last point, i'm trying not to overbuild but i am laying a foundation for where the tank could go but out of the gate (and forever who knows) it will be an SPS capable tank that will house fish and LPS coral......and lots of other critters - its a must for the kids!

Just heard from BRS that they are expecting to have the new line on their website in January so i'm heading to a decision point soon, wait for the back-order on the water box or give the new XL 300 a whirl.........patience is tough here!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
And now I’m leaning towards a peninsula tank, Red Sea or waterbox, can’t decide!